Newbie who read the user manual still has questions...

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by flynsqrls, Apr 2, 2007.

1. flynsqrls

flynsqrls Junior Member

thanks in advance...

i have a new MacBook, just purchased Parallels Desktops, thought about buying a full OEM version of MS Vista home premium... until the user manual stated:

a full (not OEM) version of the OS to be installed is required!

Tech support mentioned that an upgrade version would work...
    has anybody used either version? ...how about the academic-priced versions?

secondly, with the problems with build 3188...

www.macwindows.com/parallels.html#040207b

...should i wait for a while before trying to use Parallels Desktop and Windows Vista on my MacBook? ...any of the problems would leave me terribly sad, and being a newbie... i wouldn't know what to do! :eek:(

any advice will be very much appreciated! :eek:)
    blue skies,

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

I've heard that academic versions screw things up.

I've used a bunch of OEM versions no problem. Just keep in mind that you might invalidate some support with Parallels if you used a non-supported version.

3. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

The Microsoft EULA determines which version of Vista is appropriate for installing as a VM. Parallels has nothing to say about it. My understanding is any version of Vista will install (excluding boot camp method) but Microsoft has the final say as to the legality of the installation.

You don't want to be in the crosshairs when MSFT lawyers up with the idea of destroying your life. http://en.rian.ru/russia/20070327/62672745.html

4. flynsqrls

flynsqrls Junior Member

thank you...

okay, so definitely NO academic-priced versions!
    OEMs do work then... (with Boot Camp also...:eek:)

...i will look for a full non OEM version on eBay to purchase so as to not invalidate Parallels support.

...as for M$ lawyers making my life hell..., it already IS, i teach at a public high school! :eek:)

and what is legally wrong with buying any of the fore-mentioned versions?

thanks again, and blue skies!

5. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Well, certain VISTA editions are prohibited from being virtualized according to the EULA.

Also, unless you meet the terms of Academic, you are using the copy illeagaly, and M$ does not like sick birds...

Joking aside.