Vista and the Mac - 32bit version or 64bit version?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by lukicd, Feb 1, 2007.

1. lukicd

lukicd Bit poster

I just went out and purchased Vista to try and set it up on my mac. The guy at the store said there are 2 versions, a 32 bit version and 64 bit version of Windows Vista (home, premium, business and ultimate, each has 2 versions).

He said that a computer may be predominately 64bit but may have some 32bit components. Anybosy run into this? Or problems with Vista? I have an dual core iMac and picked up the 32 bit version of Vista Business (its all they had).

I tried running the Microsoft Vista Upgrade Advisor, which is supposed to tell you whether or not you can install it, and it was worthless. After running it told me my system could not be evaluated at this time. Please uninstall Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor and reinstall the latest version (which is what Im running). Thus begins that circle of getting the same error over and over.

2. mattfreeman

mattfreeman Member

You can run the 64 bit version but you would need to check that all the drivers for graphics, bluetooth, wlan, sound etc are availiable in 64 bit versions,

Vista 64 can run 32 bit vista programs but NOT 32 bit drivers.

If you are dual core - intel core 2 duo and up 64 bit possible is possible.

I would like to use it to see the full 8gb ram on my mac pro in windows.

3. mattfreeman

mattfreeman Member

vista 64 only in bootcamp btw, parallels does not support the 64 bit version

4. demental

demental Bit poster

Ouchhhh...
    Ordered Vista Ultimate 64bits OEM 2 months ago...
    Received it today, installed in bootcamp. Most of the bootcamp drivers don't work.
    And now, no way to install it in parallels. Holy s**t. Steve P., why so many complicated distros ?? It's even clearer with linuxes.
    So in short, do you Parallels guys plan to support 64bit OSes in the future versions of your software ?

5. sonyman

sonyman Bit poster

Parallels can't support 64-bit until OS X does on Intel Macs. Leopard should enable x86-64 on Core 2 Duo macs.

Edit: Nevermind, not true.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  6. palter

palter Hunter

Definitely not true. It's definitely possible to virtualize a 64-bit processor under 10.4. VMWare Fusion does it. And Parallels has said that they'll do it in version 3.0. At no time have they said it would require Leopard.

7. sonyman

sonyman Bit poster

Well, I was misinformed. :)

8. Tyland1200

Tyland1200 Parallels Team

64 bit is being considered in the next version bu since we jsu t came out with 3188, the next major release will be a while, 6 month to a year.

We are also waiting on MAC OS to meet us in the middle.

Thank you,

Parallels Support

9. jorn

jorn Bit poster

Well, it sounded good. :D

10. palter

palter Hunter

Waiting for what from the Mac? VMWare Fusion already supports running 64-bit clients.