Bonjour printer issue?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by gosh, Apr 3, 2007.

1. gosh

gosh Member

Before the Coherence update version, I was able to print with the help of Bonjour. Since the update (3188) and I've spent hours trying to get XP to print using my Mac's printer.

The documents do actually show up in the Macs printer utility as Jobs Stopped - that can't then be started again!

I'm missing something - it's related to the update (it must be) and the printed user guide isn't much help for an alternative printer set up - with a missing page!

Any advise - i've looked thro the other posts?:(

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Did you run the CUPS utility in OS X? That should provide information on the queue(s) and allow you to print test pages. Without more information it looks like the path from OS X to the printer is at fault.

3. gosh

gosh Member

Thanks for reply!

I can print from the Mac directly - makes it even more infuriating!

Maybe a plist thing I need to read up about?

I did want to try setting up Network printer first - but the Parallels user guide is not complete on that.

4. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

I suspect that your vm is trying to attach to the printer via USB rather than Bonjour.

Some things to try:
    1) Turn off autoconnect for USB
    2) Restart the printer queue in OSX
    3) Might have to reboot

5. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Look at this link on your Mac:

http://127.0.0.1:631/printers

6. gosh

gosh Member

Better Parallels Manual Required

Had to be somthing simple - autoconnect = needs to be off! Thankyou!

I consider myself semi-geek, still tripped up by the fairly obvious whilst looking for the complex!

It amazes me that Parallels is as good as it is but still the general user will struggle and the manual needs work!

.....and CUPS - wow I need to do some reading on that!

Thanks!:)

7. talldrinknyc

talldrinknyc Bit poster

still can't print

Grrr, have been reading all these threads and nothing has helped.
    My specs:
    latest Parallels, latest OSX, have Bonjour installed, and Autoconnect for USB turned off. Sharing of printers is enabled on the Mac side.

Weird thing is that when I'm in OSX environment, I can't print unless VM is turned off. So Parallels is messing something up even on the Mac side.

When I try to print on either side it says there's an error with some configurations; with others the VM sees the printer, but when I click on that to use it (it's not the default) I can't select it as the printer to use.

I've tried doing this through just USB, through Bonjour, through using the generic/postscript setup and the HP specific driver, as well as through the CD driver that came with the machine (HP LaserJet 3055).

Help! I need to print.

Deena

8. David5000

David5000 Pro

Have you tried using Disk Utility (Repair Disk Permissions and Repair Disk), emptying caches with Yasu or Onyx, etc., and restarting the Mac OS?

David

9. talldrinknyc

talldrinknyc Bit poster

Forgive the questions--I'm a first-time Mac owner. Do you mean disk utilities on the hard drive? That was the only option I had when I tried to do that.
    Interesting development: I brought my computer home and used Bonjour to install my home printer--a Brother multifunction. Prints with no problem. (I selected the Generic/postscript option) What's odd though is that in the "about" of the printer, it indicates it's an HP 4550 PS. I do not have that printer at all.

Thoughts? How can I get my office printer (HP 3550) to work?

Thanks so much,

Deena

10. David5000

David5000 Pro

Disk Utility.app is in Applications>Utilities. Not sure what you mean by "on the hard drive." Everything is on the hard drive. Maybe you are thinking of the odd Windows concept of different "drives?"

For other Mac-related questions, you might try the Mac-L <http://lists.listmoms.net/lists/>, the OS X Discussion List <http://www.osxlist.com/> or the Apple Discussions at <http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa>. Another valuable resource is the "Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance" page at <http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html>.

Did you by any chance shut down and restart your Mac between the office and home? If so, you might try the office printer again.

As for the drivers not matching, I have experienced that too. Others say you should choose Generic/postscript option but when I did that, the test I printed was three pages long and had an error message on it. Choosing the driver that matched my actual printer (HP LaserJet 4050N) worked fine though.

I had to go through a LOT of trial and error before I could get printing to work and am not actually sure what finally did it.

David

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007