Can't get my Canon Printer to Work

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by iankh, Apr 3, 2007.

1. iankh

iankh Bit poster

I am trying to use my Canon Pixma iP6600D printer and am getting nowhere. When I try to install the driver in the XP VM it searches for the printer but can't find it. When I try to enable it by clicking on USB devices I get a dialogue popping up over and over with out end that the USB device is being used by another process and to wait 5 to 10 minutes.
    HELP!

2. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

Try this. With your VM running, turn off the printer. Now turn it back on. See if XP sees it now. If so it will prompt you to install the driver. If you do not have autoconnect checked, you might have to select the printer in the USB icon at the bottom right of the Parallels window (not the windows window).

3. iankh

iankh Bit poster

This did not work. I do have autoconnect enabled and when I turned on the printer, the same dialogue popped up over and over and over and over again.

"USB device you are trying to connect to the virtual machine is being used by another process. Wait 5-10 seconds, then try to connect the device again. If this does not help, find the application that blocked up the device and disconnect it manually."

I shut the printer off and then my entire Mac crashed. I got the Mac error that I had to power off my my mac and power it back on again.

4. gotenks05

gotenks05 Member

Try Bonjour for Windows. I think its located at http://www.apple.com/bonjour. I use it on my Mac and the only problems I had were when I did not have an internet connection. First, uninstall the Windows drivers, then use Bonjour to setup the printer (be sure Print sharing is enabled on your Mac (if you don't know how to do that Apple's site should be able to tell you how to do it)). Bonjour selects the driver setting automatically, so don't go looking for Cannon on its list of printers.

5. iankh

iankh Bit poster

Thanks. I did try Bonjour. I downloaded Bonjour for Windows and set up the printer. The printer does show up and when I print to it it looks like everything is fine except then nothing happens. Printing is completed. The print queue on XP is empty but nothing comes out of the printer.

6. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

You need to enable printer sharing on the mac.

Go to System Preferences / Sharing. Make sure there is a checkbox by printer sharing.

7. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

Have your tried creating a CUPS printer with RAW driver on the OS/X side and access it from Windows using Bonjour with native printer driver? Step-by-step procedure was posted in another thread (http://forums.parallels.com/thread9900.html). My Epson R800 is fully functional now. Another member (akadmon) was able to make his Canon MP600 working as well (he used Canon driver instead of Epson driver on the Windows side, of course). It might work with your iP6600D, it is worth a try.

8. iankh

iankh Bit poster

Printer sharing is enabled on my Mac.

9. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

Is your printer working under OSX?

10. iankh

iankh Bit poster

Yes, if just working in OS X the printer works fine.

11. gotenks05

gotenks05 Member

Did you check on your Mac, if the Cannon Printer is being shared? You may have told it to enable Printer sharing, but there are times when you must tell your Mac what printer to share. Also, did you check your internet connection, at the time Windows was opened? If the internet connection is good, then I don't know what else to tell you. It does take alot of time for print job from Windows to print, while using Bonjour. Another thing that could have happened was when setting up the printer in Bonjour, Did you accidently select Cannon from the list, instead of staying with what Bonjour automatically selected for you?

12. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

13. iankh

iankh Bit poster

I deleted the printer and went through the Bonjour wizard again and it is printing. So thank you everyone.

I'm still not sure why just connecting to it as a USB device won't work, but at least I'm printing.

Thanks again,