Trapped without a cursor!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by old student, Apr 3, 2007.

1. old student

old student Bit poster

Hello all:

I'm new to Parallels, and have a big problem. I have a new MacBook Pro, 2.16 Ghz, Intel Core Duo, 2G ram, OS X 10.4.9 and Parallels build 3188.0 installed. I used Transporter to import a vm from VPC 7, running Windows 2000 Professional, SP4. The VM starts up, but when I move my cursor over the Parallels window to click on the various boxes and windows one has to make choices on when starting the program, the cursor disappears! I ctrl-option the cursor back, but every time I click, it goes away. I've tried choosing and un-choosing from the USP icon at the bottom of the screen-nothing. I've tried choosing the "Apple Internal Keyboard/Trackpad", and I loose all control, the cursor freezes inside the Parallels window, and I have to crash the computer to get back control. I've uninstalled/re-installed the program, re-imported with Transporter, nothing works. I tried giving up my Apple Wireless Bluetooth keyboard and Logitech USB wireless mouse for a Microsoft Natural keyboard and Microsoft corded mouse, choosing them from the Parallels USB menu, with no luck. And, before you ask, no, I am not using Parallels Tools, because I can't get to click on the installation window!

Well, I think that's it, as far as what I've tried. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Are you saying your mouse pointer disappears even when you point at the OS X toolbar at the top of the screen when Parallels is active? If not then there is an option in there to install the Parallels Tools.

3. Jerry

Jerry Member

I have had the mouse pointer disappear when upgrading, and what fixes it for me is just by right clicking in the VM window. That pops-up the right-click menu along with the cursor.
    This has not worked all of the time though, in which case I would position the cursor outside of the VM window where I can see it, and then moving it across to the point (hopefully!) where the button is.

4. old student

old student Bit poster

No, I am able to click on the Install Parallel Tools, but it does'nt make a difference, because there are all the things that I can't click on, like my anit-virus program that runs on start up, and a Windows warning about non-approved drivers, and USB device notices, etc., that I can't click on and clear off the desktop. So, Parallels Tools never gets a chance to run! To answer your question, the cursor disappears inside the Parallels window, but, depending on the combination of choice of device from the USB icon list at the bottom of the window, I can have the cursor disappear, or sometimes freeze, outside the Parallels window. (I'm writing this at work, so I can't call to mind all the details of the situation.)

5. old student

old student Bit poster

I have tried right-clicking, both outside and inside the Parallels window, to no effect, as well as things such as holding down the control-option keys while dragging the active mouse pointer into the Parallels window.