Build 3188 - can't launch VM using BootCamp 1.2 partition.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by pseudonym8, Mar 29, 2007.

1. pseudonym8

pseudonym8 Bit poster

I'm conducting an evaluation of Parallels for Mac as a potential standard for our group.
    I've deployed Build 1388, eval version and am attempting to launch an
    XP Pro SP2 (fully patched and working) installation sitting in a BootCamp 1.2 partition
    on a MacBook.

Launching the VM results in a driver error:

Code:
    Parallels Desktop cannot find necessary drivers to configure your Boot Camp partition.
     Please refer to Help> Parallels Desktop Help>Using Boot Camp Windows XP Installation for troubleshooting
    The Help doc suggests populating the C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386 with the drivers.cab and any SPn.cab's ...
    I've tried this workaround to no avail (my installation disk carries only drivers.cab and no SPn's).

I haven't deployed Tools in the bootcamp partition as I believe this is no longer necessary with recent builds.

I'm on a bit of a deadline, so any quick help is much appreciated.

cheers.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Strange. BC v. 1.2 is not yet supported... Try rolling back one.

3. pseudonym8

pseudonym8 Bit poster

Thanks for the response Eru. Is there any indication of an ETA for BC1.2 support? We are already moving over to BC1.2, so support for it is critical for our evaluation.

The fact that the exact error is mentioned in the doc indicates this is a known problem with BC based VM's. Is there is perhaps another workaround that we may try?

cheers.

4. non-troppo

non-troppo Member

I updated from BC 1.1.2 to 1.2 and Parallels works just fine.

Surely you just have to install parallels tools!? I have that installed and a working BC 1.2 partition in parallels...

BC 1.2 did break my keyboard maps and cause substantial performance issues irrespective of Parralels btw. It was a step back from 1.1.2 for me...

5. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

6. czeluff

czeluff Bit poster

same

i have having the same issue as described.

You choose "Custom", "Use Boot Camp", then it just sits for about 10 seconds, then comes back with the warning message saying that it cannot detect the drivers.

Chad

7. pseudonym8

pseudonym8 Bit poster

Thanks for the comments folks.

Non-troppo - mine is a fresh BC and Parallels installation, so unfortunately, there is no BC1.1.2 setup for an upgrade comparison.

Sharkus - given that the VM fails to launch, I am unable to deploy Parallel Tools in the usual fashion (start VM->deploy tools from menu). Is there another way to deploy the Tools in the BC partition?

czeluff - I'm also seeing that if you insist on starting the VM (i.e. try to start several times in a row) Parallels occasionaly unmounts my BC partition (at least it appears that way --- finder no longer sees it). Are you seeing something similar?

cheers.

8. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

My guess is it will hit the Betas very shortly, if they even use them. As for a Stable, about the time that Leopard comes out :p . Well, actually, probably until they sort out the major glitches on both running individually.

Cheers!

9. pseudonym8

pseudonym8 Bit poster

I see. Ok, we'll move the eval for our other option up and buy some time for a new Parallels beta. Hopefully, we'll get one before my trial key expires.

Thanks for all the help and comments.

10. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

We shall see.

No problem, hope you got a good idea of how it works. In my eyes it is worth every dollar of the license fee...

Cheers!

11. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

12. Baltazar

Baltazar Junior Member

I have the same problem, installed Boot camp 1.2 then installed PD 3188. Haven't got time to try the tip above but does anybody know if it works, has anyone find a other solution to this?

13. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

14. Baltazar

Baltazar Junior Member

VMtool.iso in Bootcamp -> Win XP didnt work. I have just tried with 3188. Anyone tried 8186 with success?

Edit:
    Got same problem with 8186.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  15. pseudonym8

pseudonym8 Bit poster

Baltazar,

I'm glad you reported your experience. I too was just about to sink time into trying the iso trick. At this time, it appears the problem is definitely reproducible for fresh BC1.2 installs.

Hopefully, we can get an acknowledgement of the problem from a member of the Parallels Team, as it would suggest waiting for at least another beta before giving up.

cheers.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007