Problem with applescript

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dupeduperson@gmail.com, Feb 4, 2007.

1. dupeduperson@gmail.com

dupeduperson@gmail.com Bit poster

If I write an applescript that says the following:

tell application "Microsoft Powerpoint"
    launch
    end tell

and I run this script, it launches powerpoint in windows xp through parallels instead of powerpoint on mac os x. Is there anyway I can turn this off so applescript will launch the mac os x powerpoint?

I am using windows XP in parallels version 2.5 build 3150

2. Bob Jorritsma

Bob Jorritsma Bit poster

Same problem here with current (3188) BUILD

In my case an Applescript opens Filemaker Pro Advanced but opend Filemaker Pron on Windows, even when Parallel's is not open...

Please help!

3. Bob Jorritsma

Bob Jorritsma Bit poster

The solution:

That was it! As soon as I dumped the fake Filemaker app, made by Parallel's from:

~/Documents/Parallels/Microsoft Windows XP/Windows Applications/

The problem went away. After a long wait Mail to Filemaker Importer came up with a dialog "Where is Filemaker Pro" and let me choose the proper one.

Now I need to get an Applescript to verify of that file exists so it can be deleted so Mail to Filemaker Importer works...

4. robsoft

robsoft Junior Member

Is there a way to stop Parallels from making those 'Windows Applications' files entirely?

I'm a software developer, and I have about 200 files in that folder already - many /many/ of them are versions/variants of the same thing - the name of the program I'm developing. I'm guessing that everytime Parallels sees an exe, some kind of checksum is generated (or maybe it's just a date/time thing), and you get a file in the Windows Applications folder for each new version. Which is great if you've got a normal machine environment, but where I'm creating new versions of the same exe about 20 times a day, it's quite annoying.

5. AlanH

AlanH Pro

I don't have a Parallels "Windows Applications" folder. Is that because I don't have "Show Applications in Dock" checked in Parallels prefs? If so, that may be a workround.