How can I migrate Boot Camp VM to regular VM?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by aprestong, Apr 4, 2007.

1. aprestong

aprestong Bit poster

Greetings, everyone!

I have XP installed on a Boot Camp partition that I use exclusively in Parallels. I have rebooted into XP maybe once or twice -

Since Boot Camp only supports one other OS partition, I'd like to install Vista in Boot Camp.

I understand that booting Vista from boot camp is not currently supported - but I don't think I would want to use Vista through parallels yet.

I want to install Vista on Boot Camp, but I'd like to take XP off of my boot camp partition and use it exclusively in Parallels.

Is this possible?

I don't want to have to reinstall XP again - as I'm not sure how many times I'll be able to activate it.

The ideal situation would be to transfer my XP Boot Camp partition to a regular parallels image - then upgrade my XP boot camp partition to Vista.

Is this possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. ajwans

ajwans Member

Are you able to use your bootcamp partition under Parallels? If so boot it up and install
    Parallels transporter, then start a new Parallels instance and import the partition into
    a Parallels VM.

I imported a W2K image from VMWare on linux using this method, sucked the whole
    thing up into Parallels and haven't looked back.

andy

3. aprestong

aprestong Bit poster

Yes - I can boot the boot camp image through parallels...
    but I'm a little confused -
    I try to import from parallels in OS X and I only have the option to import from another computer or from a VMware image.

WTF.... I'm not really an idiot... but I can't figure out Transporter.

Where do I initiate the transportation?? From within XP (my bootcamp through parallels) or what??

4. aprestong

aprestong Bit poster

Nevermind... I figured it out. Sorry for the stupididty..
    "From another computer" will find the bootcamp VM running transporter...

5. Helen@Parallels

Helen@Parallels Parallels Developers