Boot Camp Vista, anyone?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mralston, Mar 2, 2007.

1. CorpSuit

CorpSuit Junior Member

With the new BootCamp 1.2 supporting Vista, it is only a matter of time before Parallels will support Boot Camp Partition.

2. jyavenard

jyavenard Bit poster

Little to do with bootcamp 1.2

That it's just a matter of time before vista/bootcamp support appears in Parallels: no doubt.

But this will have nothing to do with Bootcamp 1.2 supporting Vista: those are only updated drivers, which Parallels do not use

3. cyberjoac

cyberjoac Bit poster

I join you all for this great would-be feature.
    Good luck to Parallels dev' team!

4. synerg3

synerg3 Bit poster

Huh?!

First time here in the forums and reading this thread. Anyway, I've been waiting for a response from support on this issue since 3/1 after I DL 3186. Finally got tired of waiting, so called and just got of the phone with someone there and he said that 3186 was corrupt and that I need to DL 3188 and uninstall Parallels first then go through the install again and it should work. We'll see when I get home...:confused:

5. CorpSuit

CorpSuit Junior Member

Let us know if this works for you, but I doubt it will. Most of us are running Build 3188 and Parallels won't work with a Boot Camp image of Vista. Someone claimed they were able to get it to work, but those of use who installed Windows XP Service Pack 2 and tried the upgrade to Vista couldn't get it to work for us.

6. mralston

mralston Junior Member

That covers me too. I've actually got a Business Upgrade edition of Vista that comes with the Microsoft Action Pack subscription service. This required me to install Windows XP SP2 first then upgrade from that.

Interesting to note that the new 1.2 beta verison of Boot Camp claims that it won't work with upgrade versions of Vista. I installed Vista under Boot Camp 1.1 and have just upgraded the drivers from the 1.2 version (not a full a re-install of Vista under 1.2). Not quite sure what Apple are getting at here as the upgrade version is running quite happily for me. I don't know what would happen if I started a new Boot Camp installation of XP on Boot Camp 1.2 then attempted to upgrade it to Vista, but I suspect it would work fine.

7. Tyland1200

Tyland1200 Parallels Team

Which Vista are you using, only Business and Ultimate are going to be supported, anything else goes against the Microsoft EULA. Its a business decision that MS made Parallels had no say over this decision.

Thanks Microsoft.

Tyland1200

8. mralston

mralston Junior Member

If it was an open ended question to everyone then I apologise for my somewhat sarcky response, but it's been a long day and that's the kind of mood I'm in. :)

9. itsdapead

itsdapead Hunter

Folks, please. Why are we still having this conversation?

If you're a turkey, don't vote for Christmas.

If you ever use virtual machines then simply don't buy Vista until Microsoft remove the silly and arbitrary anti-VM clauses from their licenses. XP - if not 2K - is all you need for backward compatibility.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I beleive that all the Business and Ultimate EULAs say (unless you get them via a volume licensing scheme) is that you are welcome to buy another full price copy to run on your VM.

Stupid thing is, if Vista Ultimate had offered the right to legitimately run one copy "hard" and another on a VM I'd have found that a pretty compelling reason to buy.

10. purpanther

purpanther Bit poster

boot camp vista drivers just came out with ver 1.2. apple now supports boot camp vista. last month that wasn't true.

11. dgorman

dgorman Bit poster

I 15th it. I'd like to be able to use my boot camp vista partition from parallels :)

12. monjark

monjark Bit poster

Add me to the list!!! This should be an easy update.

13. Parallelogram

Parallelogram Member

Yes, I seventeenth it!

14. stellaclose

stellaclose Bit poster

You can do this now with today's release of VMWare Fusion. Bit slow though.

15. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Guys,

Thanks for your feedback! It is already in our schedule and we are working on it.

16. goudkamp

goudkamp Bit poster

Great, thanx! But still, I eighteenth it !

17. dgorman

dgorman Bit poster

Nope, it only supports boot camp with xp :)

18. dgorman

dgorman Bit poster

Cool thanks! BTW, been using parallels for quite some time and love your product. I've recomended it to about 5 people, all of which have gone on and purchased a license.

19. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

M$ EULAs are stupid... If anything most people just don't upgrade on that front. I have spoken with at least 50 people and we have a consensus to just stay with XP due to VISTA issues... Including EULA problems.

20. mralston

mralston Junior Member

Excellent. I look forward to it. I guess you can't be exact and the true answer is probably "when it's ready", but any idea when this might be out? I suspect you'll get quite a few keen beta testers. :)

I obviously don't speak for myself here (the thought would never cross my mind) but I expect a lot of people won't be too concerned about the EULA issues. Buying two licences to run a piece of software on what really is only one computer is ridiculous. If this becomes more common then maybe they'll they'll consider updating the terms of their EULA (they must have loads of laywers twiddling their thumbs!). I'm not holding out any hope on that one, but I really can't see them bothering to sue anyone over this sort of infraction.

From Parallels' point of view I can't see there being an issue. This is only my opinion and may not be legally valid, but I'd expect it to be a bit like companies making CD coping software or CD ripping software. They can be used legally and they can be used illegally - ripping CDs with the likes of iTunes in the UK is still (I think) illegal. Copying CDs that you don't own the copyright for is also a no-no. Ripping or copying a CD for which you hold the copyright (or is copyright free) is fine. I believe it's down to the end user to ensure they're not breaking the law. If you have the correct quantity or type of licences then running Vista in Parallels/Boot Camp should surely be perfectly legal for all parties.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007