Linux & Parallels -- Startup on boot

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by gfdos.sys, Apr 5, 2007.

1. gfdos.sys

gfdos.sys Bit poster

Hello everybody,
    I have a very simple question, but first I need to establish the conditions under which its relevant.

Given:
    -Ailing NT4 Server (runing on crappy desktop hardware) needing Replacement
    -Purchased a new "REAL" server to take over all roles from old NT4 Server
    -Running RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 ES on new server

Remaining service needs implementing:
    Flexlm Licensing server (for AutoCAD)
    -While Flexlm Licensing Server CAN run on linux, AutoDesk will only support it running on windows. (read: they wont help me configure it to run on linux, as it needs to run "acad.exe" a windows program, when issuing the license for some dumb reason)

Preliminary Solution:
    Parallels for Linux (of course!)
    I have Parallels running just fine on the RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 ES Server.
    Guest OS: Windows Server

Server is Headless -- I administer it using a vnc session that is launched automaticly at boot from with in rc.local

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Reason for my post: (the problem)

Right now if the server needs to get rebooted for any reason (power outage,etc)
    This is a deployment -- I am not AT that site, so they would have to call me and I would have to vnc in and restart Parallels, or no one could do their work -- I dont want that kind of trouble :p

I want Parallels to launch automatically on system boot so my Windows Server can start up and provide the Licensing service needed for my users to use AutoCAD.

Possible solutions I have found/thought of:
    -------------------------------------------------
    using gnome Session "Startup programs" to launch Parallels when gnome starts.
    This sounds Ideal, except for one problem I can think of --

How do I tell Parallels NOT to launch:
    -from a session created at the console (not a huge concern-- as I said the server is headless)
    -from any addtional vnc(gnome) sessions I may need to create in the future.
    ??-> Will Parallels even allow itself to launch a second instance in a different session if it is already in use in another session?(last thing I need is 2 virtual WINDOWS pcs writing to the same virtual hard drive at the same time --- what a mess that would make!)

So you see it is a simple question. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. ms @ parallels

ms @ parallels Parallels Team

Hi.

Anyway Parallels checking configuration before start and refused to start when configuration is locked by another instance.

Also you can write little wrapper for run parallels. Something like

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

if test ! -e "/path/to/configuration/.configuration.pvs.lock"; then
        parallels /path/to/configuration/configuration.pvs &
    fi

This script will checking for lock file before start, and start parallels if no lock file found.