Parallel tools reinstall constantly

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by svenax, Apr 4, 2007.

1. svenax

svenax Bit poster

Don't know if this is a bug or a feature, but ... I am using Parallels build 3188 with a Bootcamp installation of Windows XP and all current hotfixes. This runs just fine, but every single time I start it from Parallels the Parallel tools are reinstalled which is a bit annoying. I have tried to start and restart the partition in Bootcamp a couple of times, but it doesn't help. I also have a "normal" Parallels installation using a .hdd file which does not behave in this way.

Is this a bug and is there some way around it?

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Weird. What version of BC are you running and what is your system set-up?

3. ccarter

ccarter Bit poster

I am experiencing the same issue on the three machines I recently set up with Parallels R3188 running off of Boot Camp partitions (Boot Camp v1.2 Drivers, which I suspect is the source of the problem).

MacBook Pro Core Duos
    OS X 10.4.9 with all current updates
    Boot Camp 1.2
    Win XP Pro SP2 wiht all current updates
    Parallels R3188

4. VTMac

VTMac Pro

Are you sure it's reinstalling, and not just switching from native drivers to parallels VM drivers on startup? I'm pretty sure that's how they do bootcamp integration. At startup they swap all the drivers so they will work on OSX.

If that's not what you're seeing, then perhaps the driver install isn't completing. You may have success booting into safe mode and installing the drivers there.

5. ccarter

ccarter Bit poster

I don't believe it's working as designed (at least I hope not), as every time I start Parallels without having booted into Boot Camp, without restarting my Mac, or even launching any other applications or doing anything else on the machine in between closing Parallels and re-launching Parallels, I get the following message:

"Warning: Parallels Tools initializing is in progress. Please do not turn off or reset the virtual machine, and do not perform any operations in the guest operating system until Parallels Tools initializing will be complete, because it may result in data loss."

FYI..there's also a grammatical error in that message. I believe "...initializing will be complete..." should read as "...initializing is complete..."

6. slimemold

slimemold Hunter

7. ccarter

ccarter Bit poster

One thing I am noticing is that for the half a second during XP's loading where it shows you the option of which OS to boot into, it displays the following two options:

"Parallels Configuration"
    "Windows XP Professional"

and "Parallels Configuration" is the default selection. If I edit the boot.ini file so that Windows XP Professional is the default, would that maybe take care of it or might that be a bad idea (asking because I don't know what Parallels has going behind the scenes)?

8. ccarter

ccarter Bit poster

Bummer. Kinda kills the magic when I'm demoing Parallels for co-workers. :)

Oh well.

9. mjmac

mjmac Bit poster

Awhile back after installing an update, I had the same problem. Ended up that Parallels Tools had created a disk image of itself and it was mounting the image in the CD/DVD ROM every time I booted. All I did was select Default CD/DVD ROM from the Device Pull Down Menu and it went away.

10. I don't suppose you read the new documentation information on using a Boot Camp installed Windows? Page 98, and Pages 211-ff.

11. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Svenax, I guess I mis-understood your question. :p

This is an intended message. Nightmares happen if you shut down while the tools are INITIALIZING. Read what it says, look up in the manual.

12. Summi

Summi Bit poster

Hello!

I am from germany and i have the same problem. my question is a little different. when windows is started, the parallel tools are always mounted as cd-rom and i get a messege from windows, that new drivers are installed and i should reboot the system-the start up takes even a longer time. when i reboot, everythink is ok. is this also a normal behavior?

13. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

PD Menu >> devices >>cd << disconnect
    worked for me

Hugh W

14. Summi

Summi Bit poster

it doesn't work for me, because i can take this option when windows is already started. the problem is that paralells mount on ever first startup the parallel tools and install drivers.

15. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

you need to edit your configuration. untick the "connect at startup" for the cd drive in the config. In the same place, make sure it is NOT using an ISO image.

16. Summi

Summi Bit poster

when i uncheck "connect at startup" it didn't make a difference. Parallel Tools always mounts on startup. the config doesn't change anything

17. adh214

adh214 Bit poster

Thank you mjmac, that seems to have solved my problem. The constant prompting to install Parallels Tools was getting maddening.

In case anyone is interested, I run XP in Parallels build 3188 on a Mac Mini. I do NOT have Boot Camp. Each time I would unpause Parallels, it would prompt me to reinstall the Parallels Tools. A note to Parallels developers, I think most users would appreciate this "feature" being handled differently. I don't use Parallels for anything advanced or exciting. Just launch, VPN into the office and run Remote Desktop to my work machine. The tools install process was getting very frustrating. Otherwise, I LOVE Parallels. It has prompted two friends of mine to seriously consider buying a Mac for their next computer.

Andrew