Unable to mount USB drives in Build 3188

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Greg Downing, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Greg Downing

Greg Downing Bit poster

I seem to be unable to mount a FAT 32 external USB HD in parallels. When I click the USB Mass Storage Device under the devices menu to check it the drive will dismount from the MAC side but it never mounts on the windows side. Any tips to what I might be doing wrong?

2. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

better use it as a shared folder

PD >> Menu >> Devices >> Shared folders >> add

mount and dismount is more of an installation thing

also Macintosh HD >> users >> your user name > desktop is handy to addd as a ,shard folder

Hugh W

3. Greg Downing

Greg Downing Bit poster

Cool, now just how do I access these shared folders? I see shared documents under my computer but not shared folders and once I share it I can't seem to figure out where to find it? Thanks and sorry for the seemingly elementary question!

4. pentrixter

pentrixter Bit poster

the name of your drive is a folder in 'Parallels Shared Folders'. simply access it from there.

but i've encountered another problem. with my external HD (ntfs) shared, i am unable to write on it. whenever i try to copy or cut a file onto my external HD, it says "cannot find specified file" and when ever i try to delete something, it will delete, but it will come back later when i close the window and access it again.

this would be the second time i've installed parallels. the first time, it was not connected to boot camp and it was able to fully recognize my external HD as a drive in my computer. it was fully functional then, but with boot camp, i'm only able to access it as a shared folder.

is there anyway to actually connect my external HD to parallels windows as an actual drive?

thanks in advance

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  5. pentrixter

pentrixter Bit poster

am i not getting a response because im stupid or has no one figured it out yet?

maybe starting a new thread would help...

6. toddcw

toddcw Bit poster

Hi,

I had this same problem, and was able to resolve it by allowing Windows to re-install the USB controller. Open the "System" control panel applet, click on the "Hardware" tab, then on the "Device Manager" button. In my case, under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" one of the controllers showed a yellow exclamation point, indicating that it wasn't functioning. I opened it, clicked "Re-install driver...", and allowed Windows to download and install whatever driver it needed from the Internet. After this Windows gave a message indicating that the hard drive had been recognized, but it didn't automatically map it a drive letter. I rebooted Parallels, and it showed up just like it should.

Hopefully this works for you as well. Just let me know if I can provide any other details.

Todd

7. pentrixter

pentrixter Bit poster

thanks for your help todd, but none of my USB drivers seem to have a yellow exclamation point. that and there isn't an option for reinstalling, just updating. should i delete the USB drivers and wait for windows to detect it the next time i turn it on?

8. toddcw

toddcw Bit poster

Hm. Good question. That may work. I basically decided to address it as a Windows-only issue (i.e., independent of Parallels), and that seemed to work. A similar approach might also do the trick for you.

Good luck,

Todd

9. harry33

harry33 Junior Member

reinstall parallels, go to win safe mode(F8 and click on safe mode) uninstall parallels tool and reinstal it.

good luck

10. pentrixter

pentrixter Bit poster

strange, i finally got it to work. it worked if i accessed parallels from the windows xp.pvs as opposed to clicking on paralles and then pressing the green play button.

anyone know why this is the case?