Unable to mount vmtools.iso in Solaris 10

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by SolarisMac, Apr 4, 2007.

1. SolarisMac

SolarisMac Bit poster

I have successfully installed Solaris 10 11/06, but I have been unable to mount any cds or the vmtools.iso by the documented procedures.

I have submitted a request to Paralles Support, but I have not heard back from them in 7 days. Has anyone else had this issue and how did you resolve the problem.

2. Ynot

Ynot Pro

Can you specify your problem more concrete? What errors solaris wrote on screen? How you tried to mount..

3. SolarisMac

SolarisMac Bit poster

There are no error messages. When I insert a CD/DVD in my machine it does not auto mount the CD/DVD in Solaris. When I specify and iso (like the vmtools.iso) I get the same result - no mount. There is no /cdrom off of root, no icon on the desktop. Solaris is not mounting any cd/dvd or iso. I have followed the directions in the user guide to the letter to mount the vmtools.iso, but it will not mount.

The VM recognized the dvd on install, but it is not mounting anything after the install. Lastly, when I disconnect the cd/dvd or iso using Devices > Disconnect CD/DVD, then the cd/dvd appears on my OS X desktop.

4. Ynot

Ynot Pro

Try to mount it by "mount" command. You can find examples how to do it in your Solaris manual.

I suppose, that solaris shouldn't automatically mount CD/DVD, or you need to tune your solaris automaunt utility for proper work.

5. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

please don't duplicate your questions SM

but this is better than the first one

BUT
    the more detail about what your are starting with the better

which versions:-
    Parallels?
    Mac OS?

and which macintosh computer ????????

then the details - like have you used defaults or set up your own RAM or HD sharing % ?

I am a solaris 10 wannabe and will be reading all I can before starting

Hugh W

6. duncan_h

duncan_h Bit poster

I have Solaris 10 11/06 installed on a Macbook with the latest parallels 3188 build
    (I created the vm with one of the older RC versions)

for me, vmtools.iso appears as expected on the gnome desktop if solaris is rebooted after selecting
    it with devices->CD/DVD->connect image on the parallels tool bar.

I got sound working with some extra driver you can find by googling on the net.

The only thing that doesnt work is USB. The USB 1 on parallels 3.2 build 1970
    works, but the new usb2 emulator in recent parallels 3.5 is broken with solaris10.

7. SolarisMac

SolarisMac Bit poster

I have solved the issue. When setting up the CD/DVD in the configuration editor, in the attachment options for the CD/DVD options I had to select IDE 0:1. After the change, the vmtools image automounted in Solaris. When I set up the device originally it defaulted to IDE 1:0.

For the benefit of others on the forum my set up is as follows:

2.1 Ghz MacBook Pro
    2 GM RAM
    Parallels 3188
    Solaris 10 11/06 with 784 MB memory allocated.

8. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

thank you

Hugh W