How to create shortcuts?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Superduck, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Superduck

Superduck Bit poster

Hi everyone, this is my first post on here so sorry if it's in the wrong section, I wasn't too sure.

How do I create shortcuts to my windows programs in the dock or my mac desktop? I have the latest beta.

All the best
    Simon

2. gotenks05

gotenks05 Member

You definitely posted this in the wrong section, because this site is only for support on Parallels products. This would have fit more with the Mac forum, but I'll answer this anyway. First, you must find where parallels saved your VM. It will most likely be in the users folder and in your username folder and then in the Parallels folder. If you know what it was saved as then search for it using spotlight. When you get to the folder, control-click the icon and say make alias. then drag it into your desktop. If you want it to remain in your Dock, just control-click on the two D's facing each other, while your running your VM, and click keep in Dock.

3. joem

joem Forum Maven

That would be a shortcut to a mac program, not a Windows program. Poetic justice -- post in the wrong forum, get the wrong answer. Try the Mac technical forum.

4. Leauki

Leauki Hunter

I suppose a question about how to create a shortcut to Windows programs running in Parallels is a Parallels-related question and this forum is therefore the right place to ask such a question.

A Mac forum of some kind would probably be the wrong place, as they might not care about Parallels or know much about it.

Gotenks05's answer is of course wrong, as it doesn't address the question of how to create a shortcut to a Windows program.

Superduck: check the VM folder for a folder named "Windows Applications". I don't use the feature, but I think that folder has something to do with what you are trying to do.

Perhaps the question should have been posted to "Parallels Desktop for Mac", but I guess "General Discussions" is not too wrong either.

5. gotenks05

gotenks05 Member

I was right about this, I just forgot to say under the library folder, under his username folder, under the users folder. Yes, this would fit under the Mac forum category, because he wanted to create a shortcut or keep it in the dock and I checked as I went through it. The Mac forum probably does not care about Parallels products but I saw an anouncement on it about this forum, which means they care somewhat about it. Keeping something in the Dock or creating a shortcut to enter windows or another OS is definitely a Mac forum category, because it is a shortcut to a file that is opened by another program. Read his question better, I was correct in telling this user what to do. I will always consider this a Mac forum question, because this is not a Parallels product question and it is simply a question of creating a shortcut to something. Listen, anybody who wants better detail on putting something in the Dock or creating a shortcut please place this into the Mac forum, it will probably gain close to my first response and more depth into it too, which means they will be more correct than me. I do not want to start an argument here, but I am not the only one thinks this question is not Parallels related. I misread only one question that I responded to so far on this support forum, but I know that I am correct or close to being correct on this question.

6. Leauki

Leauki Hunter

What's the matter with you?

1. Install the Parallels tools. Make sure you install the "Favorite Applications" feature. "Complete" installation should do. (This is probably already done!)

2. Notice that there is an "Applications" menu between "Devices" and "Help" in Parallels' menu bar when Windows is running.

3. Go to the VM folder (Library folder, Parallels folder, Windows VM folder). In there you will find a "Windows Applications" folder.

4. When you start a Windows application for the first time, notice how a file like "Internet Explorer.app" appears in that folder (and the Applications menu).

5. The file there created is a shortcut to the Windows program in question. You can create shortcuts to it wherever you want in the usual way.

Have fun!

P.S.: The feature seems to slow down Parallels considerably. I don't use it.

7. cualexander

cualexander Bit poster

Ok this is making everything extremely harder than it needs be. Just for future reference.

To add a shortcut to a windows application to the mac desktop:

Open the program

click on the icon of the Windows application in the Dock.

Click Add to favorites.

Bingo! There is a shortcut on your desktop now.

8. Gizmokid2005

Gizmokid2005 Bit poster

I was searching and had this EXACT same question, and this is the APPROPRIATE answer that was needed for the question.

Thanks!

9. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Umm. Your problem is. Superduck is obviously new, look at his post count. Take it easy on the guy.

It ain't 'THAT' far off.

Thanks for helping the guy out cualexander.

10. rezonat0r

rezonat0r Bit poster

OK, still can't figure this out, and it seems like it should be easy.

In Windows, I have a shortcut to a standard VPN connection. Running the shortcut breifly pops up a parallels Dock icon for the "Connecting..." window. But if I do a Keep in Dock, that icon only points to "Windows Explorer" and only pops up explorer. The VPN connection does not run.

So how does one add *any* windows shortcut to the Dock?

11. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

This is the wrong forum to debate appropriate forums for topics.

12. rezonat0r

rezonat0r Bit poster

Very funny : )
    But seriously, anyone have an idea on that?