Workstation 2.1 and ZoneAlarm

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by jalefkowit, Apr 27, 2006.

1. jalefkowit

jalefkowit Bit poster

Hi everybody --

I'm evaluating the Windows version of Parallels 2.1 Workstation and so far it's been great, except for one problem: none of my guest OSes can connect out to the Net. (i've tried it with Kubuntu and Damn Small Linux so far, both fail.)

I use the basic (free) version of ZoneAlarm as a desktop firewall, so I thought that might be the culprit. Sure enough, when I turn ZoneAlarm off, I can connect fine from my guest OSes. When I turn the firewall on again, though, it starts failing again.

My question is: does anyone have any guidance as to what is required to get ZoneAlarm and Parallels to play nicely together? I presume that there is something in the ZA config that would resolve this, but I can't figure out what that would be.

Thanks in advance!

2. Nadine McSim

Nadine McSim Junior Member

I recommend you to add to the Trusted Zone Virtual Machines which you've created.
    To do it, go to the ZoneAlarm Control Center, Firewall, tab Zones. Click Add, then select IP address from the shortcut menu. The Add IP Address dialog appears. Select Trusted from the Zone drop-down list. Type the IP address of your VM and a description in the boxes provided, then click OK and Apply button. Repeat this procedure for every VM you are using.

3. jalefkowit

jalefkowit Bit poster

That did it! Thank you! :D