Internet Connection help needed, please

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by largegroh, Apr 4, 2007.

1. largegroh

largegroh Bit poster

I am runninga parrales ver 2.2. I have a awindows xp home host and a windows xphome guest. My internet connection on host is cable on all the time. I do not seem to be able to get any connection from within xp guest vm.

I am not real sure what info someone would need to help me. If you will respond to this with what you need I will put info in this post. i have tried everything i can think of with no results. Under Devices, network inside my guest is says:

connect (greyed out as i assume it thinks it is connected)
    disconnect
    Marvel Yukpn 88E8001/8003/8010 Gigabit Ethernet Controller

I have no idea what to do with this. please help if you can

largegroh

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

Has Parallels tools been installed?

3. largegroh

largegroh Bit poster

yes it has. or i think it has. it wasa black so selected it in vm and it installed now is grey. i am assumming that i don't need to install for every vm but only in paarallels. however, i am very much a beginner so correctl me if i am wrong

4. constant

constant Forum Maven

You are wrong.

Parallels tools need to be installed with the vm running. The tools are installed on a per vm basis.

5. largegroh

largegroh Bit poster

ok. i clicked parallels tools again and it asked me if i wanted to uninstall them so I am assumming they are installed. when i go to my host machine and run a command prompt, type ipconfig /all i get an ip address for the guest vm. I ping that address and it came back saying it sent 4 packets, recieved 4 packets, 0 lost. to me, noob that i am, that says the connection is there. however, when i start IE in the guest vm i get "cannot load the page. maybe i need to uninstall parallels and start over.

6. scottj

scottj Bit poster

Has nothing to do with Parallels Tools. This is a known issue with some networks. Your VM appears as a separate machine to the network but your network is not configured to give the VM its own internet address. You might fiddle with your router's settings to ensure that DHCP is turned on, but for some networks (e.g., T-Mobile hotspots) the VM just isn't going to get an address with the current (2.2) version of Parallels Workstation.

What's needed is what's called NAT functionality in Parallels. It's been added to the Mac version in a recent release and is reportedly coming to the Windows/Linux version.

7. scottj

scottj Bit poster

Ach, I said "internet address"... I am of course referring to IP address on the LAN. Sorry, need my morning tea.