New Mac - We Need Virtual OS/2 v4.52

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Mike Ryan, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Mike Ryan

Mike Ryan Member

We just bought a new Intel Mac machine for the family and used Parallels to install a copy of WindowsXP in a virtual session. It wasn't as easy and they claimed but it is installed and works well enough for our family's purposes.

I have the last release of OS/2 Warp 4.52 and need several of the native OS/2 applications to complete some work that must get done. The main reason we opted to pay out $80 for Parallels was because the site clearly stated you could run OS/2 Warp 4.52 using it. The Parallels manual does not go into any detail on how to install OS/2. I've searched the Yahoo groups, the public newsgroups and these forums looking for answers but after 20 tries or so I'm still unable to get beyond the first few install requirements. We have plenty of hard disk space and RAM and a 3Ghz Mac Pro so the hardware is there.

Two people in the OS/2-eCS forums said they were able to install OS/2 in the latest release of Parallels but they don't know how they did it. Some mysterious and random key selections they report.

Another says: "I think all you have to do is disable the Intel VT-x (?) support. "

I did that and tried five different install scenarios but it all comes down to this:

In each case I can't get any farther then returning to the installation after creating an installable volume. The process hangs there with "booting from hard disk drive...".

It is disengenous of the Parallels people to advertise OS/2 Warp 4.52 as being supported when you can't do it "right out of the box." If someone, anyone, will tell me what steps to take to get OS/2 installed then I will happily advise the OS/2 community that it can be done and they should buy a new Mac and Parallels.

Please don't respond if you simply want to comment on the situation. I need answers and I've struggled now for two weeks. All I want is someone to tell me in easy steps how to get OS/2 Warp 4.52 installed on a Mac using Parallels.

If it can't be done then just say so and we'll return the product and ask for our money back.

Thanks,

Mike

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

From the download page, supported OS's:

OS/2 and eComStation Guest Operating Systems:
    • OS/2 warp 4.5
    • OS/2 warp 4
    • OS/2 warp 3
    • eComStation 1.2
    • eComStation 1.1

I don't see your OS in this list. In the current user guide on page 74 there begins two pages of OS/2 installation help. This is for Parallels version 3188.

3. Mike Ryan

Mike Ryan Member

You got me there but then, IBM never released a plain 4.5 version. They went directly from v4.0 to v4.5.1 and three months later to the final release, v4.5.2. v4.51 will install on systems with less than 512mb of RAM. IBM realized their mistake in that many newer systems now come with more than 512mg of RAM so they offered a final release to address the installation of OS/2 Warp 4.5 on below and above 512mb of RAM.

The only difference between these two is that 4.5.1 will not install on systems with more than 512mb of RAM - it balks and tells the user to remove RAM or obtain v4.52. Both are referred to as v4.5. When you buy OS/2 Warp 4.5 from IBM they send you v4.5.2 (but they no longer sell OS/2 at all).

Page 74 addresses an installation procedure using a Warp iso image as well as mouse and clipboard synchronization and sound driver and network driver installations. These latter four items can be installed after the OS is up and running. IBM never released an iso image.

Parallels offers the installation via an iso image or via the original CD Disk 1(installation) and 2 (operating system files). I'm using the original OS/2 Warp 4.5.2 CDs. The CD installation is not addressed in the manual. I'm at a loss trying to understand why Parallels would list the iso method in the manual (when no OS/2 user would have such). Unless ... Parallels will somehow generate the iso image from the two CDs.

I'd be happy to try it from an iso image but I don't know how to make one or how to obtain one. I am using Parallels 3188.

Thanks,

Mike

4. VTMac

VTMac Pro

And there in lies your problem. I'm sorry you've struggled so much on this issue. I haven't installed OS/2 so take this for what it's worth. But for many OS installations with Parallels (including some Windows installs) it seems things go best if you create an ISO image of the CD and then mount and install from that. Creating an ISO is easy. In fact in your Parallels install folder they provide a utility for doing so called Image Tool. Insert your CD, run image tool, select CD, Create new ISO, and put the file somewhere like your desktop. Do this for each install CD.

Now when you create your VM, you can install from the ISOs on your desktop instead of the CDs. When your done installing you can delete the ISO files.

5. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

I'd guess about 5 to 10 minutes on Google looking for "Mac create iso" would turn up what you need. I'm running 4.0 here and it runs fine. I used to run an OS/2 support BBS and have always liked OS/2 so was pleased to see it running on my Mac.

6. Mike Ryan

Mike Ryan Member

Let's not jump to success too quickly. :)

I'll give it a try. If it works then Parallels should change or adjust Page 74 to say an iso is required for Warp 4.5 installation. I have been around and around with various OS/2 "experts" on the problem of installation and none have advised "use an iso image" - perhaps that's a given but to someone who has never undertaken such a task it needs to be clear and concise.

I'll be back with my results. Thanks for the quick help and advice. It is very much appreciated.

Mike

7. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

I didn't use an iso. However, I do think they are far more convenient than CD's.

8. Mike Ryan

Mike Ryan Member

From the wording on Page 74 there is a hint that Parallels offers a way to create the iso and that feature has now been pointed out. I'm sure Toast 8.1 would probably have done it but having never worked with iso's I wasn't sure of the procedure. I know with eCS you can download an iso file and when you burn it to CD you get all the files contained within the iso. That was the problem that was stumping me. Do I make an iso and burn it to CD? If so then aren't I just making a copy of the original install CDs? But the previous poster notes the iso can be saved to the desktop and that makes a little more sense to me.

I came to OS/2 late, just before IBM released Warp 4.51. I found a brand new copy of Warp 4 at a computer store sellout and brought it home. I was smitten with it and then Warp 4.51 came out followed by Warp 4.52. Then it became clear IBM was ending support and another guy was going to offer OS/2 as "eCS". I bought into it at first, got all the updates to eCS v1.2R, but wasn't that impressed with it.

And then I found the Mac! So I'll give it a shot and come back, especially if I run into problems, or to report success!

Thanks again!

Mike

9. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

I'll wager you enjoy the Mac quite a bit. It's everything that OS/2 could have been if IBM had the nads to make it viable. The Presentation Manager is still the best desktop I've ever experienced. Not always a thing of beauty, it was otherwise most excellent.

An iso image can be mounted like a physical disk, so all of the files contained in it are available to OS X or what over OS mounts it.

10. VTMac

VTMac Pro

I started with OS2 2.1 and used up through 3.1. Unfortunately it was apparent at that point IBM wasn't serious about the OS so I moved on. It was indeed a same. It was a GREAT OS and very ahead of it's time.

11. Mike Ryan

Mike Ryan Member

Ok Guys, I'm back without success. I tried another 10 different sessions using the iso image method and various settings using the CD install method.

In each and every case the problem comes down to the third step - returning from setting up an installable volume of [500] [1,000] [2,000] meg size, replacing the OS/2 Warp 4.52 OS CD (disk 2) or pointing to disk 2 iso.image, the install continues and ends with:

Parallels(R) VGA-Compatible BIOS Version 2.01

Parallels(R) 2.5 build 3188 (C) 2005-2007 Parallels Software International Inc.
    All Rights Reserved

640 KB Base Memory
    262144 KB Extended Memory
    Boot from hard drive ... _

-----------------------------------------------

That's it. We sit there and nothing happens. I've shut of VT, left it on, disconnected the drive between CD changes or iso images, kept the drive connected between the two different processes and in each case the install stalls at "Boot from hard drive..."

How do I get over this hurdle and get Parallels to install the OS/2 system files?

Mike

12. Mike Ryan

Mike Ryan Member

After two weeks and four days of searching various forums (and being told to go back to the Parallels forum if you want answers to Parallel), I am still unable to successfully install Warp 4.52 in a Parallels virtual session. And I've yet to find anyone in any of the various forums (MacNN, Adobe, public newsgroups, Yahoo and Google groups) who have a successful install. I've written to Parallels Tech Support (of which many Parallels users say is non-existent and sadly I must agree) and been pretty much ignored except for a robot response of receipt.

There are those who have claimed "yes, I have OS/2 installed" but it will be OS/2 Warp 4, the original release and not IBM's final release of OS/2. There are others who say they have eCS v1.2R (the altered version of OS/2) installed but when asked how they did it they are always at a loss to explain "Oh, I hit some keys, can't remember which ones ... "

So I must conclude that Parallel's advertisement claiming you can run OS/2 Warp 4.5 in a virtual session is simply not true. Perhaps they "wish" it were true and are relying on people like me to do all the tech work to get it installed but for $80 I certainly expect the product to work as advertised. To mislead the OS/2 community in this way is certainly not befitting of a business who wants and needs to be taken as trustworthy.

I'll continue to work at it for a few more days but expect to seek a refund. There are many in the OS/2 community waiting for my results and it is sad for them as well as for Apple and Parallels who will not be seeing a switch by many OS/2 users over to Macs and Parallels.

What is important here -at least to Apple and Parallels - is there still remains a good 10 to 20 thousand hard core OS/2 users who must transition off OS/2 because IBM has ceased support and future development. These OS/2 users, like myself, have large investments in various native OS/2 software that keeps them running OS/2 on older machines. A majority of these people would gladly purchase Mac Pros and iMacs as well as Parallels if they could continue to use some of the more costly OS/2 native software in a virtual session. There are also thousands of former OS/2 users who would love to be able to return to OS/2 in a virtual session. That means additional sales of Mac hardware and Parallels software.

But then again, maybe it isn't imporant to the Mac world - perhaps OS/2 users are too insignficant and are perceived as outsiders, but unlike MS lackies, OS/2 users are devoted and loyal to their OS, just like Mac Users.

I love my Mac and wouldn't give it up for Windows-anything. Sadly I see more and more heavily invested OS/2 users shelving their systems and turning to Vista.

I want to thank those of you who stepped forward to offer your advice and guidance. I don't expect to find the answers to getting OS/2 Warp 4.52 installed but it was a noble effort and perhaps, down the line and in the future, the ability will materialize. Until then OS/2 users will have to accept the reality that Parallels and a new Mac is not for them.

Thanks again,

Mike

13. steve

steve Member

Hi Mike,

Sorry, I cannot offer any advice of how to get OS/2 installed. I read this thread with great interest though. I used to be an OS/2 fanatic. Interestingly, when I reflect on why that was so, it was because the OS was solid and I could run Windows in virtual mode (at least you could in the earlier versions ... I don't know if they kept this capability if later versions). Evenutally, IBM refused to keep up with the Windows releases and many of the apps I was using required win95 and beyond. So, I had to give up on OS/2 and that was a sad day.

The Mac has been an interesting experiment for me. When they released the Intel versions I spent quite a bit of time looking for virtualization. When it looked like there were some options, I ran out and purchased a Mac. Shortly after that, Parallels released the first beta's and I became heavily involved in the beta program and eventually purchased the product. I've been mostly satisfied even though there have been a few issues with the latest GA that bug me. Reflecting on OS/2, my current situation resembles how I felt when I was running OS/2 in that I have a great OS (OS X) and the ability to run Windows for compatibility purposes. I'm now a Mac fanatic. I never thought I would ever say that never mind admit that.

Do you know if there is a public download of OS/2 available? I would offer to attempt an install to see if I could get it working but I don't have a copy.

Steve

14. austin

austin Member

Sorry I didn't see this before now.

You've now met somebody that has Warp Server for e-Business 4.52 running in Parallels (as well as a couple of other versions of OS/2). :)

Insert one of your OS/2 Warp Server For e-Business CDs.

Under Mac OS X, go into Disk Utility (Under Utilities under Applications). Highlight the CD and go up to "New Image". Pick your save location and for your Image Format, click DVD/CD Master, with no encryption. Do this for both CDs, and remember to rename them with the .ISO extension later on.

My VM session - I gave it:
    - 384MB of memory
    - a floppy disk (important for the tools)
    - 3.8GB of hard
    - OS Type: OS/2
    - OS Version: OS/2 Warp 4.5
    - Enable Intel VT-x support
    - Virtual hard disk cache policy - Virtual machine
    - Floppy: /Library/Parallels/Tools/vmtools.fdd
    - No serial port
    - Network enabled, connected at startup
    - Shared Networking
    - Under networking - "Advanced" - Type: Realtek 8029(AS)
    - No sound

I mount the boot CD, it runs through the OS/2 sequence (booting, drive setup, swapping CDs, etc.). At various points you'll have to mount/unmount the two OS/2 CDs. Once you are installed, you need to mount the floppy - VMTools.fdd.

Under that floppy you should see this:

[​IMG]

Then go into your OS/2 MPTS LAN adapter/network configuration (protocol support) and install it:

[​IMG]

If you need more help beyond that, I'll do the best I can. It works great for me. I'm not going to mess with audio or serial ports or anything else like that since there is no need to (and as you point out, this is to migrate people away from OS/2).

As far as sharing files between OS/2 and OS X, you can either go and setup OS/2's defeault FTP daemon (easy to do since you have Warp Server for e-Business), or setup one of the many FTP servers from Hobbes (or FTP clients and setup an FTP server under OS X).

You can also throw together a temporary CD image using Mac OS X's Disk Utility, and then mount that under OS/2, which is a fast/easy way to change files.

15. mmika

mmika Pro

Sorry, but I have a question. Why are you doing iso images? Does installation form real drive not work? It's intresting for me.

16. austin

austin Member

I would throw this in:

If you have plain vanilla OS/2 Warp 4.0, not tagged with e-Business, you can get a USB floppy, make images of the three boot floppies, and go through the process of booting off of the floppies.

Up on Hobbes, the last fixpack is in a pseudo CD-format - you can create a "fake" CD under OS X's Disk Utility, mount that under OS/2, and from there install everything, or simply FTP it over.

17. austin

austin Member

Speed and ease of use.

I have a 200GB drive dedicated to various VM images, and I just throw ISOs of all of the OSes I mess with on there - whether it's XP, OS/2, Linux, FreeBSD, DOS (yes, I have a DOS ISO that's bootable :D even though DosBox works great).

It's more convenient for me to have the DVD and CD ISOs right there, rather than having to take them out of the case and put them in.

18. Mike Ryan

Mike Ryan Member

Hi Steve,

I was looking around today at various torrent web sites for OS/2 Warp 4.52 and found it in an iso image at MiniNova.org under software. There is the install CD and the OS2 system files, each a separate download.

Mike

19. Mike Ryan

Mike Ryan Member

I appreciate all the instruction Austin but I don't have OS/2 Warp v4.52 server for eBusiness. I have OS/2 Warp v4.52 for the desktop.

In your instructions above you state "I mount the boot CD, it runs through the OS/2 sequence (booting, drive setup, swapping CDs, etc.). At various points you'll have to mount/unmount the two OS/2 CDs. Once you are installed, you need to mount the floppy - VMTools.fdd."

My problem begins right here "(booting, drive setup, swapping CDs, etc.)". If you'll follow along here and tell me how to get over this hurdle:

Hit the green "start" button on the "typical" Parallels setup with the OS/2 install CD in the CDRom. The install process begins, everything seems normal, and you are told that OS/2 needs a partition of at least 120 megs set to installable to install. It asks if you want to set up such a partition (volume), you say yes and you go to through the process of setting up the volume, selecting the size amount, selecting it as installable and when finished the install instructions tell you to save the new setup, remove the CD2 disk and replace it with the CD1 install disk, press CAD to return to the install process.

You hit CAD and you return to the install process. Here's what I (and others) get:

Parallels(R) VGA-Compatible BIOS Version 2.01

Parallels(R) 2.5 build 3188 (C) 2005-2007 Parallels Software International Inc.
    All Rights Reserved

640 KB Base Memory
    262144 KB Extended Memory
    Boot from hard drive ... _

And that's it. You just sit there. The install literally stalls. A half hour later and you're still sitting there.

Now I've tried a variety of options: leaving he CD1 in place; disconnecting the CDRom and reconnecting it before the CAD; disconnecting the CDRom and reconnecting it AFTER the CAD; and anything else I can think of.

I don't care about networking or usb support because all I want to do is access two OS/2 applications and complete a project. I can't complete the project using Mac software (because there is none that will support the project application, same with WinXP).

If anyone wants to try or to see what it is I'm talking about they can go to MiniNova.org and do a quick search for Warp. Download the two iso OS/2 Warp 4.52 files (one is install CD the other is OS/2 system files) and try it from their own desktop.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  20. Mike Ryan

Mike Ryan Member