USB in beta5

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Apr 26, 2006.

1. nhand42

nhand42 Member

USB drives work well with Linux guest OS

I tried a 32MB and a 64MB USB memory stick with a Debian/Linux guest OS and beta5. Both USB sticks worked fine, an icon appeared on the Linux desktop, I could transfer files onto the sticks, and the files were successfully read on another machine. Very happy with the results.

2. Quantise

Quantise Junior Member

I have a Disgo Lite 1Gb Drive which unfortunately freezes XP after a few moments at this time. If I remove the drive, XP recovers after a few seconds.

My understanding is that these things don't require drivers.

3. Many USB drives can use the drivers that Windows now has built in. However, there are some cases where specific companies have developed their own drivers to resolve 'incompatibility' or conflict issues with their hardware. It wouldn't hurt to check with the manufacturer to make sure.

4. RhetTbull

RhetTbull Bit poster

Which brand of USB to serial adapter did you use? I've had a string of bad luck with flaky USB->serial adapters under Windows XP. If I can find one that works with Parallels that would be a huge help!

5. RolfG

RolfG Bit poster

Dongles

I can not say more than make dongles work!
    I have two apps (Windows only) that I need for
    my everyday-work. Anything else I do under OS X.

Both dongles are inaccesable at the moment.

RolfG

6. Martin

Martin Member

My vote for that, too :D

7. electrocality

electrocality Bit poster

Microsoft (Pharos) USB GPS WORKS!

Just thought y'all would like to know that the Microsoft (Pharos GPS-360) USB GPS Unit works just fine! I fired it up under Streets and Trips 2006 and was tracking in moments. PARALLELS ROCKS!:) :) :)

8. sbatson

sbatson Bit poster

I got USB working after adding it in the VM config. I could mount and old USB 1 Flash Drive, but it doesn't like the SanDisk Mini Cruzer as others pointed out.

On another note, I did try to mount a USB floppy drive and had no success there. I'm really hoping there will be a way to do that at some point.

9. organik

organik Member

siig usb serial adapter is working great for me...

on edit: it worked so well I got another, but this one is a usb 2.0 to serial adapter by siig...and it CRASHES XP constatly...avoid! Interestingly, the older usb 1.1 to serial adapter by siig works great.

Last edited: May 26, 2006
  10. Philmac

Philmac Bit poster

And my vote tooo!
    When dongles work I will be buying parallels & an intel mac!

11. Martin

Martin Member

I find the USB dongle "Ultra Pro" in the list of connectable devices in the lower right corner. If I connect it, I get the following msg:
    "USB device you are trying to connect to the virtual machine is being used by another process. Wait 5-10 sec, then try to connect again. If this does not help, find the app that blocked up the device and disconnect it manually"
    Does this mean Mac OS X blocks the dongle? How to disconnect it? I never installed a driver in Mac OS X for this device.
    Thanks for help.
    Martin

12. brianboonstra

brianboonstra Bit poster

iPod = trouble

If my iPod (60GB Video) is plugged into my MacBook when I start the guest OS (XP), or if I plug it in while the guest is running, Win XP grabs control and then (typically) hangs. This happens even though I have Autoconnect Off for the USB Controller in the VM config.

Interestingly, the first time I plugged in the iPod, the guest did not hang -- just took a really long time to recognize it, and then hung when I tried double-clicking on its drive letter. Since then it has hung staight away.

I do not really need or even want the guest OS to be grabbing the iPod. I had thought that Autoconnect Off would fix the problem.

I'll upgrade to beta6 tonight.

13. Martin

Martin Member

USB dongle Rainbow SuperPro is working with beta 6. Setting: Autoconnect off, start Windows, insert dongle, right-click on the USB symbol lower right corner, activate SuperPro, Windows recognizes it, installs it and it works. Perfect.
    Martin

Last edited: Apr 30, 2006
  14. RolfG

RolfG Bit poster

USB dongles partial success

This starts to get exciting.

I tested 3 dongles:

1) Marx Crypto Tech LP (own driver): WORKS
    2) Rainbow USB Superpro (own driver): WORKS (as Martin already noted)

3) Now things get odd: Another Marx Crypto Tech LP dongle does not work.
    OS X reveals that this device is a HID device, so OS X seem to grab it, and
    I get that "used by another app" message from Parallels.

Two out of three now work now. If I can get the third one to work and I am
    able to install the related app, and that does work, the programm is ordered.

Anyway, anyone figured out how to get OS X to NOT occupy an USB device?

RolfG

15. AtariAge

AtariAge Junior Member

I have a USB Xeltek 280U Device Programmer and with Beta 6 Windows is able to recognize it, and appears to have installed the driver I downloaded from Xeltek. However, when I fire up their programming software, it tells me that it cannot find the Programmer. It shows up in the Device Manager under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" as a "Xeltek USB programmer".

This device is one of the few reasons I need to use Windows, and while I'm encouraged to see that the device is now recognized in a Parallels VM, I still have to use Boot Camp in order to use the device. I'll be quite happy when I'm able to use it from within Parallels (which I've already paid for...) I'd be glad to provide Parallels with any additional information to help troubleshoot this particular device.

..Al

16. klopf

klopf Bit poster

No Luck with USB to Garmin GPS

I had no luck with Beta5 finding my Garmin GPS unit over USB, but with Beta6 it can now find the device successfully. Hooray!! However, it crashes after a few minutes of transferring maps to the device. I haven't been able to use this for more than a few minutes without a crash. Has anyone had any luck with Garmin GPS units and Beta6?

17. dailo

dailo Member

As of Beta6 my ActivKey USB works fine. Thanks guys!!!!! I can finally VPN without rebooting to windows!!!

18. mrudd1

mrudd1 Bit poster

Beta 6, still problems...

Just finished installing beta 6 and updating the tools. Reinstalled the software for my Samsung phone. I still get the same message from Beta 5 "The usb device is being used by another process..." Anyone know why?

19. scrytch

scrytch Junior Member

I was about to post the same thing. I am running my VPN connected to work and I can switch between XP and Mac now - brilliant!

Thanks,
    Shane.

20. sschiffman

sschiffman Bit poster

no usb support

i installed beta 6 on an intel mac duo. everything is great except still no usb support. when you look at device manager in xp pro there is no universal serial bus controllers. i have tried using the hardward install manager and no luck. any suggestions.