Parallels Can't Find Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mraub1, Mar 25, 2007.

1. mraub1

mraub1 Junior Member

I just downloaded the trial version of Parallels. When trying to set it up using Bootcamp as the XP source I get the following error message:

More than one Windows partitions are found. This is not a standard Boot Camp configuration. Please refer to the Parallels Desktop for Mac User Guide, Using Boot Camp Windows XP Installation chapter for instructions on how to configure Parallels virtual machine in case of a non-standard Boot Camp configuration on your Macintosh computer.

Since there I have only a Mac HD partition and a WinXp partition on the HD, I haven't a clue as to what the message means. I do have a FAT 32 Firewire drive connected, but unmounting that drive did not solve the problem. Can anyone here please help.

Thanks,

MIKE

2. L. A. Stone

L. A. Stone Bit poster

I'm having the exact same problem here on my registered copy.

3. mraub1

mraub1 Junior Member

OK, I physically disconnected the FAT32 Firewire drive and got Parallels running. However, when I reconnected the drive and tried to start Parallels again I got the same error message. Surely I need not unplug the Firewire drive every time I want to start I start the VM.

I also noticed my WinXP drive icon is now missing from OS X.

MIKE

4. RossSerino

RossSerino Bit poster

I have the same issue when trying to boot my boot camp partition, disconnecting my firewire drive before running parallels solves the problem, i dont know if theres a more official fix.

5. woode

woode Bit poster

I am only able to resolve the problem by disconnecting all USB and Firewire drives (I have four of them). I can plug them back in when the VM has started. An unrelated issue that I am having involves being unable to select the MAC or Boot Camp partition on startup with my bluetooth keyboard. Anyone know a way around this short of putting a wired keyboard back on?

6. mraub1

mraub1 Junior Member

Well, this looks like a bug that needs squashed. Parallels needs instructions not to just look for a Windows partition (and apparently it sees any FAT32 partition as a Windows partition) but for the partition that contains Windows. Since that is generally c:\windows, maybe it will be an easy one to fix.

MIKE

7. CorpSuit

CorpSuit Junior Member

I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to Parallels, but it was my understanding from previous posts I have read that Parallels unmounts your Boot Camp Windows Drive while it is running. When you close Parallels it remounts your drive. I am not entirely sure why it does it, but I am assuming it is to stop people from accessing it while running Parallels.

8. rainer_xxl

rainer_xxl Bit poster

I have the same problem with extern USB Drive and OS X format.

9. mraub1

mraub1 Junior Member

Thanks for the information. I had thought of reformatting the drive in a format exclusive to OS X, but I guess that won't work. I assume the Parallels programmers are checking these threads for problems to fix. Ultimately I think Parallels is going to be a very usuable program; right now its like having Windows 3.1 again, with constant tinkering required to get a stable platform.

10. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

This seems to be an issue that a lot of people are having... Physically disconnect all drives... It sounds like people are getting it to work if they do that.

Parallels team, perhaps we can get this looked into. When I end up using Intel instead of using a second computer and RDC (more processors, yummy), I will need this to be working right as I always have a back-up drive plugged into my laptop at my office.

11. Platinum Samples

Platinum Samples Member

Same here.. more of an issue because it's a separate NTFS internal SATA drive in my Mac Pro's "Bay 4".. and unmounting the partition doesn't help.. I had to physically remove the drive!!

Rail

12. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

OUCH! That could not have been fun...

13. Platinum Samples

Platinum Samples Member

Thankfully the Mac Pro is really well dsigned so you just have to open the Mac and pull out the caddy... But I'm fortunate that my Mac isn't in a hard location to access.

Rail

14. minim

minim Junior Member

OK. Guess I've got my answer - unplugging is the way to go... Thanks everyone for your responses!

15. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Yes, for now, but hopefully it gets fixed... Have you submitted this to the bug report?

16. hairyneanderthal

hairyneanderthal Member

Fixed by ynot

I was helped with the same problem by ynot in this thread http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=9583

You need to edit your *.pvs file manually and make sure you have the correct entries in the [IDE devices] section. You will need a set of entries for every DOS hardrive you want recognised by parallels.
    Here is my IDE section. Note the extra entries for each "Disk 0:0 image = Boot Camp"
    I found the relevant entries for diskXsX by running df at the terminal.

[IDE devices]
    Disk 0:0 enabled = 1
    Disk 0:0 = 1
    Disk 0:0 media = 1
    Disk 0:0 connected = 1
    Disk 0:0 image = Boot Camp;disk0s3
    Disk 0:0 cylinders = 0
    Disk 0:0 heads = 0
    Disk 0:0 sectors = 0
    Disk 0:1 enabled = 1
    Disk 0:1 = 2
    Disk 0:1 media = 1
    Disk 0:1 connected = 1
    Disk 0:1 image = Default CD/DVD-ROM
    Disk 1:0 enabled = 1
    Disk 1:0 = 1
    Disk 1:0 media = 1
    Disk 1:0 connected = 1
    Disk 1:0 image = Boot Camp;disk2s2
    Disk 1:0 cylinders = 0
    Disk 1:0 heads = 0
    Disk 1:0 sectors = 0
    Disk 1:1 enabled = 0
    Disk 1:1 = 0

17. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

I think that thread needs to get stickied...

18. Trekkie

Trekkie Bit poster

Ok, here's my problem... It might have something to do with having Vista on Bootcamp, but I doubt it... I have my .pvs configured as such...

[IDE devices]
    Disk 0:0 enabled = 1
    Disk 0:0 = 1
    Disk 0:0 media = 1
    Disk 0:0 connected = 1
    Disk 0:0 image = Boot Camp;disk0s3
    Disk 0:0 cylinders = 0
    Disk 0:0 heads = 0
    Disk 0:0 sectors = 0
    Disk 0:1 enabled = 1
    Disk 0:1 = 2
    Disk 0:1 media = 1
    Disk 0:1 connected = 1
    Disk 0:1 image = Default CD/DVD-ROM
    Disk 1:0 enabled = 0
    Disk 1:0 = 0
    Disk 1:1 enabled = 0
    Disk 1:1 = 0

Yet when I try and open the VM, it asks for my password, then I get the following message.

"Unable to open disk image Boot Camp;disk0s3!"

Any ideas? I know that the disk0s3 is right thanks to DF. I can also mention that I have an external drive with one Fat32 Partition and a Fat32 USB Key.

Thanks,

Trekkie

19. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Hmm... Firstly, VISTA and BootCamp has mixed results.
    Secondly, try disconnecting your drives, they cause issues at times.
    Finally, (try this first) what happens if you try to start your VM anyway?

20. Trekkie

Trekkie Bit poster

Yeah, but with the new update it works fine.
    Did try that... doesn't work either with or without disk0s3 listing
    What do you mean? it won't let me start after the error... it just quits...

I have a feeling it just doesn't like not seeing XP, but I could be wrong...