Boot Camp Vista, anyone?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mralston, Mar 2, 2007.

1. ehurtley

ehurtley Member

I'm running the same activation key of Vista Ultimate in both Boot Camp and Parallels. The way I see it, I'm running it on the same computer, and I'm not running the same copy concurrently more than once. That falls fully within the license agreement.

What I *REALLY* want is Parallels 3d graphics that supports Aero. I know it's silly, but I want to be able to run DreamScene in a window. :p

2. CorpSuit

CorpSuit Junior Member

Just for clarification, please correct me if I am wrong, but you can install Vista Ultimate (and Business) as the OS and as a Virtual OS on the same machine right?

Per the EULA on my license it says, "You may use the software installed on the licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system on the licensed device."

Am I interpreting this wrong?

3. Parallelogram

Parallelogram Member

ehurtley, how did you even get that working? I'm not talking about the EULA - I mean, how did you get Vista+Boot Camp+Parallels all working together? The thread was originally about how many people would like Parallels to support this, even though it doesn't. I have tried... with a completely fresh Boot Camp Vista partition that never had Windows XP on it, and was never used with versions of Boot Camp older than 1.2.

4. nicka

nicka Member

I think he was saying that he uses Vista (separate installs, albeit with the same license) in both Parallels and Boot Camp.

Nick

5. cdubois

cdubois Junior Member

Enabling Vista through both Boot Camp and Parallels will give me no reason to look at VMWare. For me, which ever virtualization engine gets this working reliably first will win. This is the killer feature that I need to ditch an external hard drive on my MacBook Pro.

Now, if only Apple would add read-write of the NTFS partition under Mac OS X and a driver for the Mac OS X file system under Vista, Boot Camp will be complete. More interestingly, since Vista user accounts are now also under a "Users" directory, we may be one step closer to installing Mac OS X and Vista to the same file system.

6. mralston

mralston Junior Member

Mediafour's MacDrive 7 provides read/write of the Mac partition under Vista. It's not quite the solution you're after as you have to pay for it seperately to what you've already shelled out to Apple, MS & Paralles and also it doesn't allow your Mac to write to the Windows NTFS partition, but it's a step closer. It does at least give you a way to share files (with write support) between your OS X and Windows dual boot.

That idea amuses me. I'm sure it's possible in theory, if you could install both on a commonly writable file system (FAT maybe...old hat perhaps but at least both OSs understand it natively). The bootloaders might have a fight but I'm sure there would be a way around that somehow, perhaps using a third part bootloader. All the same, its not something that I think I'd want... filesystem would get all messy with bits from both systems all over the show. Already it annoys me when Windows leaves RECYCLER and other hidden folders on other drives. OS X does it too lots of dot files that finder litters everywhere. Combining the common user folders would be fine for me... having a desktop, documents, pictures etc set of folder shared by both would be good, but again Windows especially leaves all sorts of extra rubbish in the documents folder... my this, my that.

7. milesce

milesce Member

1. Share your home folder through parallels.
    2. Map as drive to it in windows
    3. In Windows, right click on "My Documents", select Properties, point it to your documents folder in OSX

You now have a shared user folder. In XP you can set the other user folders using TweakUI, but I stopped using the same desktop folder because it made bootcamp act strangely.

8. ehurtley

ehurtley Member

Correct. For the moment, Boot Camp and Parallels are two separate installs. I would *LIKE* Parallels to support running from the Boot Camp install of Vista, but I'm making do right now with what I have.

9. cdubois

cdubois Junior Member

I have a purchased copy of the MediaFour product and it continually and completely corrupts the Mac OS X partition when running from XP via Boot Camp. It has happened 4+ times and that is too much. It us unusable unless it is configured for Read Only access. I will not ever run this package again.

If you want to reproduce this, just trigger creation of about 5,000+ files. For the developers in the audience, any source checkout can easily do this. You will never get back to boot that Mac OS X partition again with all of your data.

10. mralston

mralston Junior Member

Sorry to hear that. I've not had this happen to me, but I don't use it that heavily.

11. Teggles

Teggles Bit poster

Bump

Can anyone at parallels give an ETA on when they will handle vista boot camp partitions?

12. tboelskifte

tboelskifte Bit poster

Boot Parallels from Boot Camp Vista Install works

Well, I can verify that booting a Vista install on a Boot Camp volume certanly works!

- Install Vista on a Parallels virtual disk
    - Partition your Macintosh HD using Boot Camp
    - Add a new HD to Parallels (your newly created Boot Camp Mac-HD partition)
    - Boot your original Parallels disk
    - Wait for Vista to recognize the Boot Camp disk and then format it as NTFS
    - Pop in your Vista Install DVD (or load an image of it)
    - Install Vista to the Boot Camp partition

You are now able to boot Parallels from that partition, with a nice increase in performance.

You can then take a stab at moving the Macintosh Windows Drivers folder (you can create that from the Boot Camp Assistant) to the Boot Camp drive, boot the Mac from that and install the drivers, but I'm so sleep depraved now, that you'll have to wait until tomorrow morning (europe) for a more detailed explanation on how to do that, if you want it from me, 'cause I'm BEAT :)

But if there's any interest, I'll re-write this as a real "To-Do", with spelling corrected and everything.

But the point is - it can be done :)

Night all,
    zzzz

13. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Hey hey, I'm bookmarking your post for future reference. By all means, type up a nice 'How-to' in a new thread and link it to this thread!

14. mralston

mralston Junior Member

Sounds very interesting. Don't really wanna break the install on my laptop as I use it at work everyday and don't wanna have to stay up til the wee hours doing it all in one evening.

However, if the nice folks at Apple get around to updating the iMac range any time soon I'm going to be replacing my home machine, so I'll give your method a go on that. Mind you, based on current performace Parallels will probably beat Apple to it anyway. Ho hum.

15. tboelskifte

tboelskifte Bit poster

OK, I will. Just testing some things out, but I'll be back later and do a full write-up :)

16. tboelskifte

tboelskifte Bit poster

You can get a hint from here, based on previous "Apple product cycles":
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac

Back to my "Boot Vista/Parallels from Boot Camp partition".

I've got that working (see my previous post, for an overview of how to do this) but I'm kinda stuck now.

Obviously being able to boot both Parallels AND your entire Mac, from the same Boot Camp partition, is really what we wanna do, right? That is where I'm stuck. I can boot Parallels from the Boot Camp partition. but not the entire Mac.

I thought it would be a matter of changing the Boot Parameters of Vista, choose the Boot Camp partition as a startup disk, and re-boot, but of course it isn't that easy :)

I'm going to fiddle around some more with this, but if anyone needs me to type up - in detail - how I got to where I am now, I'd be happy to do so.

But we could also wait until Parallels releases an update, witch as I understand it, is not far into the future. So let me know, if any of you absolutely need a detailed How-To (if the short list I posted originally is not enough) and I'd be happy to write it, but if not I wouldn't mind saving those keystrokes :)

Booting my brain in Denmark,
    Thomas

17. cam815

cam815 Member

Doh.

So here I sit with a fresh 10.4.9 install, threw on Boot Camp 1.2 and installed Vista Business on a 15gb partition... only to find that I can't use it for Parallels. Read the whole thread and all I can say is I guess I'm waiting for the Boot Camp option to not be greyed out in a Parallels update :(