File assosciations

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by yzingher, Apr 28, 2006.

1. yzingher

yzingher Bit poster

This would be a great (though maybe utterly unrealistic feature) -

I've installed Parallels for just one reason - I vastly perfer the Windows versions of Word and Excel to the stuff they produce for the Mac. I'm much more productive in them. Being able to run them from my MacBook Pro has literally removed the need to keep a PC on my desk.

It would be great to be able to receive a Word or Excel attachment in Mail and by clicking it, have it somehow open up in the Windows virtual machine with the right piece of software. If there was a way of sending it back to Mail (drag and drop or something like that) that'd be even better.

A small side-note - does anyone have any idea how I can increase the scrolling speed of the keyboard in Excel under the VM? I've put both the mac and windows settings to fastest, but it's still slow compared to the PC. Basically I need to hold down the up and down buttons a lot to scroll through lots of rows. Sounds like a small thing but it's pretty useful!

2. Richard Hunter

Richard Hunter Member

Have you tried saving the file to the desktop, right clicking on it, and use *open with* Parallels?

3. Richard Hunter

Richard Hunter Member

And you must be the first person I've ever met who likes the Windows version of Word and Excel better... but hey... enjoy :D

4. tradford

tradford Bit poster

"opening with Parallels" Didn't work for me.

I tried the saving to Mac Desktop and doing the "open with Parallels" command to open the file in XP guest and it didn't seem to work for me. I had the guest XP running in the background and the application didn't launch anything that I could see.

5. Richard Hunter

Richard Hunter Member

Bummer. Haven't tried it myself... but you'd think that might work? hmmmm

6. DanJ

DanJ Bit poster

parallels attachment

I have what you want but I don't want it. Maybe someone can help please. A computer is primarily running MAC Leopard, Parallels is installed (Win XP) but not in use. Using MS Entourage 2008, received an email with a .xlsx attachment. The attached icon has the parallels icon in it. When we open the attachment it opens parallels and excel in windows.

I don't want this, how do I fix it please? I want it to open the excel for mac.

Sincerely,
    Dan