Why a virtual machine floppy?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by MSUDVM, Apr 9, 2007.

1. MSUDVM

MSUDVM Member

OK, this may be a straightforward question, but why does Parallels create a floppy drive (A) image in the XP virtual machine? I haven't seen a floppy drive in a new computer in a few years and I sure don't have one in my computer!

2. dtidmore

dtidmore Member

Here is one reason

Microsoft ASR (automated system restore) that is in XP Professional requires that a floppy be present for a small amount of data to be written outside the backup media. I recently used this facility to backup my Parallel XP system that was exhibiting a strange every grown appetite for hard drive space. Doing a ASR back, then loading it back into a clean VM environment solved the problem. ASR did have a problem writing directly to VM floppy, but I did a manual restore of the ASR information required on the floppy and the the ASR restore worked.

david

3. ehurtley

ehurtley Member

I would like to link to a real floppy drive.

Ironically, I like the presence of the floppy.

And I would like it if you could link the floppy to a real drive, like you can with optical drives. I have a USB floppy drive, and old floppies that I would like to transfer the data from. (Among other things, I'd like to install MS-DOS 5.0 off those floppies.)

Right now I have to create floppy images, then mount those in turn in Parallels.

4. jfutral

jfutral Bit poster

If it is any consolation, a connected floppy will register as a b: drive. Of course this doesn't help me as the proprietary software I use only recognizes an a: drive. And since I can't get my _real_ floppy to show up as the a: drive, Parallels is uselss for what I need it.

VMWare's Fusion _will_ let a connected floppy register as the a: drive.

And I paid for Parallels. Live and learn.

Joe

5. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

cant you just create disk images if the sowftare requires A: ?

6. jfutral

jfutral Bit poster

My software needs to take direct control of the floppy drive and uses a proprietary format. Images don't cut the mustard. It ain't the cutting edge stuff, but it is all there is to do the work I do.

What this is, is a software editor for a proprietary hardware platform so I can do work without being near a console.

I can do this in Fusion now without issue. I used to have to boot directly with boot camp. So I feel ahead of the game with at least one company. I guess it is good bye Parallels.

Good luck,
    Joe