Ubuntu install errors with "Cannot find RSDP"

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dcharti, Mar 2, 2007.

1. dcharti

dcharti Bit poster

I'm running a MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM. I gave the Ubunutu VM 512/6GB of an expanding disk. I'm trying to install from an ISO I downloaded of the basic (I'm assuming) 32-bit disk image.

Right after the Ubuntu boot splash, the installation errors out with "Cannot find RSDP," after which I get a black screen in Parallels.

Can I not run this version on a Core 2 Duo (64 bit chip). Do I need to get the 64-bit version of Ubuntu? Does Parallels even support 64-bit OSes yet?

Thanks for any thoughts.

2. dcharti

dcharti Bit poster

Bump.

Any help? Please?

3. hkoster1

hkoster1 Member

You could try the boot option "acpi=off" when booting the liveCD.

4. hippotech

hippotech Member

I had this with version 6.10, but version 6.06 works fine.

Hippo

5. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

a quick google comes up with very little to add to the acpi=off command, however one article did suggest try running the installer in text mode rather than gui mode as well as the acpi=off command

6. dmeehan

dmeehan Bit poster

I get exactly the same problem, although it doesn't appear to affect actual operation, other than that without ACPI support, the VM doesn't auto poweroff at shutdown (you have to wait for disk activity to end and then power off manually). Potentially it means that the VM doesn't use power management, which means that the Mac host possibly misses out on some power management features whilst the VM is running.

7. dcharti

dcharti Bit poster

Thanks for the replies everyone, but that acpi command doesn't seem to have helped. I'm not getting the RSDP error anymore, but the install simply blanks out; I get nothing but a black screen and I let it sit for over two minutes with no changes. I watched the drive icon too to see if the install simply had to bang on the hard drive to load up some files or something, but nada.

I'm even trying this now with the new 7.04 beta, both from an ISO and a CD I even burned.

Also, FWIW, I used the Parallels setup wizard to chose 'Other Linux' since Ubuntu, bizarrely, isn't a preset in that list.

Any other ideas? Thanks again for all your help.

8. David Deharbe

David Deharbe Bit poster

I have managed earlier today to install xubuntu 6.10, using the Linux kernel 2.6 option. Although I get the RSDP error message when the system boots, the installation proceeds normally after.

I have a iMac 2.16 Intel Core 2 Dua with 1GB RAM running Mac OS X 10.4.9.

Good luck!

David.
    --

9. mec31

mec31 Bit poster

I get the same error as the OP.

I had previously installed 6.10, and used it without difficulty.

Now, the same 6.10 vm gives the RSDP error, but then proceeds to launch.

I have never successfully run 7.04. I get the RSDP error, then the blank screen (installation is from an iso image of 7.04).

10. mike3k

mike3k Member

I've given up on Parallels (and I've been using it since the first beta). I'm now running Ubuntu 7.04 in VMware and it works a lot better than Linux ever did in Parallels.