Connect to internet on different networks

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by kmart, Apr 3, 2007.

1. kmart

kmart Bit poster

When I try to connect to my school's wireless network, XP can not connect. The Mac can still connect.

This only occurs at my school network, I can connect everywhere else.

Any ideas?

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

You're really not giving us much to go on. Assuming you have Parallels tools installed (the version that came with the Parallels version you have installed) and are using shared networking, and it still doesn't work, there are still many possibilities, so give us lots of detail including Parallels version, which Mac, memory installed and allocated to your VM, network configuration, wire or wireless, and anything else you can think of that may indicate where your setup is different from the many that work fine.

3. mmischke

mmischke Hunter

As Joem pointed out, knowing the details of your machine & software configuration is critical for efficient troubleshooting. Since you say that OS X connects fine, and XP does also everywhere but at school, a couple of things come to mind based solely on that statement:

1) Does your school dish out IP addresses only to registered MAC addresses? I'm guessing probably not, since managing that would be an administrative nightmare for an organization as large as a school, but it's possible. If this is the case and you have Parallels configured to use Bridged Networking, that could explain it (since XP would be attempting to obtain a second IP based on its own MAC address). If you're using Shared Networking then none of this will matter.

2) Does your school use WEP encryption? Apple uses a different WEP text-to-hex password encoding algorithm than the rest of the world, so while a text password will work on one side (either OS X or XP, depending on the brand of the router), the actual hex sequence must be entered as the password on the other side. This isn't the case with WPA encryption, however.

4. QueenBee

QueenBee Bit poster

Wow. I could have written this question. With a my windows laptop I just join the school workgroup and all is good, so I don't think it's a WEP problem. I plug in the ethernet cable on my mac and all is good. But I switched to parallels (windows xp), joined the workgroup, windows rebooted, and I can't get online. I just downloaded parallels about a week ago, so I have the latest version. I'm using Windows XP Pro. It's set to adjust reserve memory automatically and the slider is all the way to the right at 1628 mb.

5. QueenBee

QueenBee Bit poster

Oops. Never mind. I switched to the Bridged Ethernet setting and all is fine now. Thanks. :)