Can Parallels call Entourage

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by joeycastaneda, Apr 10, 2007.

1. joeycastaneda

joeycastaneda Bit poster

I'm running a Windows application in Parallels on a MacBook. The program has a function to automatically create an email. It works and brings up Outlook Express in Windows. Any way of having an application running in Parallels call a MAC application instead? I use Entourage and hate having to use multiple email programs.

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Hopefully there's some kind of security between Windows and OS X that keeps this from happening. I think it would be everyone's nightmare to learn that some Windows app is going to toodle off into OS X land and light off applications. Please, no!

3. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

I just do nearly all my email on the Mac

but i hate Entourage and use the Mac Mail
    imap X 7 for AOL
    pop for a spare google account
    and a firstclass account

I never use an ISP news or mail server
    so I can move or get a new connection at a better market price

Google mail is my default from webpages on both systems, and my most public address
    and mozilla for usenet news groups

Hugh W

4. drval

drval Pro

Lose Outlook Express and just stick with Entourage. Cut and Paste as needed to move information from the Windows side into Entourage.

5. lithe951

lithe951 Member

If you're just doing pop mail, it's hard to beat Google. If you have to have a client, pick your favorite (OE sucks) and stick with that, but the web client is very nice and as mentioned you can default it in both OS's.

I had to do the opposite. At work we're on Exchange and Entourage just isn't connected enough to be usable (not to mention, just isn't a very good app to begin with), so I switched to the full Outlook. I have to say, Outlook 2007 is very nice from a power-user point of view.

6. rjbailey

rjbailey Member

A possible solution

It doesn't look like anyone answered your question yet. Check out the thread at http://forum.parallels.com/thread6621.html about ways to open OSX apps *securely* from Windows or Linux. You'll need to find a way to send an ssh command from your Windows application.

7. joeycastaneda

joeycastaneda Bit poster

Still no Answer

I have a windows app that is running in parallels. The app has a function to send email. Of course when I try to use the function it calls the windows default email application. So the question is can I change it to call my OS X email application instead. I understand I can copy and paste from the windows email app to the os x email app. But this is the problemI trying to get away from.

8. rjbailey

rjbailey Member

In your Windows app, what options do you have for selecting another email app? Or does it only use the default email application?

9. joeycastaneda

joeycastaneda Bit poster

It calls the default email app

10. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

The answer is that unless you are really going to get under the hood it is impossible.

11. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

This functionality will be available in the next version of Parallels Desktop.

12. wingdo

wingdo Pro

!!

Hopefully there will be a toggle to determine whether you want Windows to be able to directly access your OS X apps.

I like the idea in general but need to know more about what this would do to the security of OS X.

13. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

I know that disclosure can lead to serious security breaches, but I also would like to see the process of calling prior to accepting it in production...

If it is secure it sounds quite neat though!