Wireless shows up as wired connection in guest

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by CapriSkye, Feb 25, 2007.

1. CapriSkye

CapriSkye Bit poster

Hello I just started using Parallels (Windows) and everything is working smoothly, except I can't get the wireless connection to show up in guest os. It shows up as wired network, and I'm able to connect to the internet. But is this how it suppose to work? Im using bridged ethernet so it should show wireless in guest os right? Any light on this will be great, thank you.

2. waynep

waynep Junior Member

This is pretty normal in a virtualization product. I work with a Unix Virtual Machine product a lot and it's normal for the guest to see things differently than the host. Mine shows the same as yours . . . I am on wireless right now but my Linux guest on Parallels thinks it's wired. Not a problem. It's just the way Parallels presents the network to the guest.

wayne

3. CapriSkye

CapriSkye Bit poster

Thanks for the reply, i guess i misread someone had to set up a wireless in guest os.
    thanks

4. shemp

shemp Bit poster

So can you or can you not configure wireless on the guest os?

5. Digital_Death

Digital_Death Bit poster

Wireless configuration in Guest OS

When your host machine has a wireless connection, your guest OS will Bridge that connection. Meaning it will show up as a WIRED network. This is normal. You DO NOT configure the wireless within the Guest OS; You control and configure the wireless from the host OS ONLY.

I hope this helps. As of this time, I cannot see any way to force the guest OS to "see" the connection as wireless and configure it as such.

6. waynep

waynep Junior Member

Just to expand a little.

The Host will see the wireles network. The guest sees something that the host emulates and presents to the guest. Typically it wil present some generic device. Something common. In this case it would be a common wired network.

This type of thing is common to virtualization. In anohter larger Unix server product that I work with, SAN (storage area network/fiber channel) disks are seen by the host. They are then presented to the guest as SCSI disks. So the guest seeing hardware differently tan the host is common. It's up to Parallels to present "hardware" to the guest.

wayne

7. wolfhound23

wolfhound23 Bit poster

Just installed Parallels for Windows last night on my main desktop (running Windows XP Pro). Successfully created two guest OS (Ubuntu v7.04 and Windows XP Pro). However neither guest OS see my network/internet

My internet is via a Linksys -G wifi PCI card. Using a netgear wifi router with DHCP. My host OS can connect to the internet but either of the guest OS have network access.

Suggestions??? Help

Thanks.