New Mac - We Need Virtual OS/2 v4.52

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Mike Ryan, Apr 3, 2007.

1. austin

austin Member

Putting aside the legality (or rather illegality), the software available there maybe along the lines of the various OS X installs people have hacked together to run on non-Macs. Even if it were legal, I would not trust those to be original versions.

Sometime this week I'll go through and recreate, and document everything I did from start to finish for both OS/2 Warp 4.0 and 4.52. These are going to be based off of CDs and floppies (for Warp 4.0) that I have, that are official versions.

Make sure you have 2GB - 3GB partitions, just to test. OS/2 shouldn't have a problem with partitions bigger than that under a VM, but better to check everything.

Now if you have the time, I'd say find some bootable DOS floppies (plenty of links in this forum) and mount those, and create a FAT16 partition within a new VM using those, and then set the VM up to be OS/2 using that drive partition, and then go through and select it and format it, set it installable, etc., with FDisk/LVM.

It sounds like your problem is with the partition itself.

2. Victor

Victor Member

I think the problem is the boot order. I tried this today.

1. I download the ISO images for 4.52 which contains an image for CD1 and CD2 (bootable)

2. Create a Parallels VM for OS/2 V 4.5

3. Attach the 2 ISO CD images to the VM

4. Start the VM

5. Follow the instructions and make an installable partition and set it as drive C: This is important! The option is buried inside the partition program.

6. when prompted send C-A-D to the VM when the boot starts, immediately stop the VM (reset button).

7. Go into the VM properties and find the boot option and change the boot order to Cd then HD (It is one of the general option tabs then a drop down I think). If you dont do this it sits at the BIOS of the VM.

8. Save the VM

9. Start the VM. On boot it will boot again from the CD image(s) and start with formatting the HD image.

10 Install OS/2

During this stage I got an error on Diskette 2 NameMove.exe,I continued but the process appeared to hang...

I am on step 9, the HD was formatting after reboot, but I could not continue as I had to go to work. I will continue this evening and update this thread if required.

During stage 10 I got an error on Diskette 2 NameMove.exe, I tried continued but the process appeared to hang...

I tried again with the floppy imaged (Just renamed them to .fdd and they work) but still get stuck at the namemove.exe. I think it maybe missing from the image. :(

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  3. Mike Ryan

Mike Ryan Member

Namemove.exe - ?

I did some Google checking Victor and there have been other attempts to install OS/2 Warp 4.52 on various VM products. The namemove.exe seems to come up in each one of these as a problem of unavailability.

For instance, here: http://www.computing.net/os2/wwwboard/forum/2240.html

You can download the latest (or last) issuance of the OS/2 Warp 4.52 install floppies from here: http://www.warpdoctor.org/downloads.html

I don't know if this information will help but want to encourage you to continue as you seem to know what you are doing. :)

Mike

4. Mike Ryan

Mike Ryan Member

Victor, et al... I just sent a message to a guy named Chuck McKinnis. Chuck is the main programming guy behind eCS (eComstation) and has a great deal of knowledge of how OS/2 Warp 4.52 installs and works. I've asked him to drop by and read these threads and offer his suggestions and advice. I can't think of any one better to help resolve the install problem.

Chuck is working on the upcoming eCS v2.0 release which is based on Warp 4.52. It would be a great advantage to the folks at eCS and all OS/2 users if we could get this last version of OS/2 to install and work under Parallels. It would surely bring many former OS/2 users back to OS/2 - at least in a virtual window, on a Mac and using Parallels.

Mike

5. mckinnis

mckinnis Junior Member

I am not really a programming guy for eCS. I just do a lot of installation and maintenance work.

I just finished installing eCS 1.2 refresh under Parallels 2.2 on Xandros.

The only change I made to the boot options was to enable the USB support so that I could read the registration info from a USB drive.

The first boot hung when loading os2lvm.dmd. I reset the virtual machine, hit alt+f1 to get the control screen, disabled hardware detection (f6), and the boot completed (I have no idea why, it just seemed like the right thing to do). You will get some errors when loading com.sys and vcom.sys because the serial port is not attached. You can rem out the com.sys and vcom.sys drivers after the install to eliminate the message.

The install completed normally. I installed the clipboard and mouse tools. Networking is working, and I connected to www.mozilla.com without any problem.

I had previously tried to install eCS 2.0, and it fails to boot. I suspect it is in the acpi support that has been added. The guys that do the eCS programming and builds are aware of the issues, but I have not seen any solutions to date.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  6. Victor

Victor Member

Thanks for that Chuck.

Ive still not got past the namemove.exe but I have got 4.0 working. The video drivers are not good, only VGA and I cant find out what hardware parallels thinks it has, but Ive not looked too hard.

My main reason for wanting to install OS/2 is that I have a copy of Visual C++ and DB/2 that I would like to play around with. Well, I want to play with Visual c++ more than DB/2 ! I spent a lot on that software, then never used it.

Any suggestions on how to proceed with the 4.52 install?

What video card does Parallels emulate ?

7. Mike Ryan

Mike Ryan Member

Thanks Chuck. Nice of you to take time out from your other duties and provide us with some information and advice. I hope you'll stick with us until we can get over this install hump. If OS/2 Warp 4.52 and/or eCS 2.0 can be installed in Parallels I'm sure there will be many OS/2 users who return to using it. It's a great OS.

Mike

8. Merlin

Merlin Bit poster

No specific card as far as i can see in the docs, but VGA/SVGA with generic VESA

I think that means it should work with the standard SDD driver (SNAP) that is in eComStation.

Regards, JvW

9. warp4

warp4 Member

Mike, AFAIK, Warp 4.52 "for the desktop" is the SAME as "server for eBusiness" as IBM merged the two code lines.

10. warp4

warp4 Member

Austin: I would like to see exactly what you did in MPTS and TCP/IP configuration to get ftp etc to work between WarpVM and OSX

11. Mike O'Connor

Mike O'Connor Bit poster

Hi Warp4,

Not the SAME, just SIMILAR base installation. Networking specifically is different, with WSeB CP2 fully-featured!

Mike

12. warp4

warp4 Member

Hi Chuck! Still see your posts in the OS/2 newsgroups on my now rare visits.

Would you be so kind as to post a step by step instruction for MPTS and TCP/IP configuration? I clearly messed up something, as it is not working for me ...

TIA

13. austin

austin Member

ok - I haven't gotten a chance to go through and document, but I do remember having to play with the networking in Parallels. I don't have a machine with Parallels in front of me, but I had to change the default networking.

Once you install the Parallels driver in OS/2, it's a Realtek 8029 I believe, it's pretty straight forward, and any major issues are going to be outside of the VM.

I want to say I set it to 'Bridged' for some reason.

14. Victor

Victor Member

I got the network connection going. I had to play with the parallels settings and take shared as the network connection (not bridged, that didnt work, or was it the other way around ???? play with this and see what works for you!). In MPTS I attached the TCP/IP to the network adaptor and selected the DHCP option (and not the DDNS one).

You have to also install the network driver from the parallels floppy image from parallels tools (there is only one in and OS/2 folder).

Other things to consider with the install is that when OS/2 was written, the hardware was a lot "smaller" than today. I read that the install HD had to have a partition under 4GB, but from memory at teh time I had Warp 4 my HD was only 750MB. As I was trying to install toa 10GB Parallels VHD I wonder if this is what is causing the namemove.exe error. I will try this out tomorrow. Also at the time of real OS/2 main memory was limited to under 512MB, so I will also set my memory smaller.

I will post more tomorrow.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  15. austin

austin Member

I juste checked, you're absolutely right, I was wrong - it is shared networking.

Also it is DHCP with DDNS unchecked. I had no routes setup or anything beyond that.

My partition is 3.8GB with 384MB of memory. I don't think anybody needs any more than that (being that OS/2 was that much more efficient than Windows).

16. warp4

warp4 Member

OK, I have Parallels set to shared. In MPTS, I set adapter 0 to 'netbios over tcpip' and 'tcpip'. In TCP/IP configuration, I checked DHCP, unchecked DDNS. I do have a route set up, and NFS. On reboot, I get a time-out msg that DHCP did not work.

On the OSX side, in Preferences - Network, both Parallels NAT and HOST-GUEST have a red light, and upon trying to config, the 'get DHCP lease' returns with the entries blank ... ??

OT, I have Warp VM set up w 256Mb of RAM and 6Gb of HD. [On my real Warp boxes, <= 256Mb RAM, but up to 250Gb HD, using the DANIS506 drivers, not IBMS506.]

17. warp4

warp4 Member

PS. I just retried, after removing the route, and ended up with the same boot msgs, screenshot attached :

screenshot1.jpg

18. Mike Ryan

Mike Ryan Member

What version of OS/2 Warp 4.5 are you using?

19. Victor

Victor Member

@Warp4: Stupid question but I assume you do have a DHCP server on your network. Check that there are still leases available.

As for the rad lights on the Parallels net adapters, goto the Network Panel in system preferences, set Show to Network Port configuration end check that the Parallels Port Configurations are on (i.e checked). If not, then check them.

If they are checked, goto the Network Status page. What does the Status read ?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  20. austin

austin Member

NET3406 - go check your error messages and see if you are getting a message along the lines of "The device driver listed in the error message could not be installed."

Also, are you sure the interfaces are enabled? If I remember right, and I probably should google this before posting and making a fool of myself, a net3406 and a sys1719 together like you have, were usually indicative of problems with the interfaces, if the card and driver were known as being good (which the Realtek we use for this driver/interface is).

If push comes to shove, you can just uninstall the networking, clean up the appropriate config/ini files, and reinstall.

First and foremost, check your lantran.log and post the results.