(One Laptop per child) OLPC

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by howvin, Apr 10, 2007.

1. howvin

howvin Bit poster

Has any tried running OLPC on parallels? I'm having trouble with virtual network, and the screen resolution. The screen resolution takes full of parallels which is bigger then my macbook resolution, and won't go into fullscreen mode.

Here is where you download Live CD of OLPC

http://olpc.download.redhat.com/olpc/streams/sdk/build1/livecd/

2. dotcomjunkie

dotcomjunkie Member

Neat!

I had no idea you could download the image file for OLPC - I might give it a try...

[edit] OK - I tried it and I have the same issues with the screen resolution - I did some searching and apparently there is some strange resolution for these things. 1200 x 900 @ 200 dpi - not sure what that means on a MBP, but it refuses to go to full screen, and in windowed mode, it is bigger than my screen - this makes using it a pain...

I like what I see - so if anyone out there can figure out how to do this - I would like to mess around with it. I tried all kinds of resolutions and nothing worked.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  3. dotcomjunkie

dotcomjunkie Member

4. PMinAU

PMinAU Junior Member

Me too

I can run it. I think I got it from redhat as a tar.bz file, must have migrated a vm build, if my speed download records are correct. Had it going months ago, but it's so basic I left it. I think the web browser worked then, but now it won't - in parallels. Can't connect. The screen is about half the size of my imac 20", but some functions don't fit properly onscreen: overlap the edges. on Fusion I can connect to web, but the screen size is even smaller, about 1/4 screen. The draw program [?] won't fit within the screen again: this prob is even worse on Fusion than on Parallels. Best thing about it is it boots up much faster than other linuxes: but then it's only a cut-down linux.

Peter

5. dotcomjunkie

dotcomjunkie Member

Did you have to edit any settings for the resolution to work properly?

6. PMinAU

PMinAU Junior Member

7. PMinAU

PMinAU Junior Member

I downloaded the latest bz2 file from redhat

http://olpc.download.redhat.com/olpc/streams/development/LATEST-STABLE-BUILD/devel_ext3/

in the same area as above, and followed the instructions at

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OS_images_for_emulation#QEMU_on_Linux

In my case, the locations were as follows

bzcat ~/Desktop/olpc-redhat-stream-development-build-385-20070406_2314-devel_ext3.img.bz2 | dd of=/Users/peter/Library/Parallels/otherlin/otherlin.hdd

Check locations of vm hdd's, and make sure you rename your vm to fit whatever you are putting in the terminal. I found that I get an error message or two when I first booted, but ignore those. Screen size shows as 1024x768 I think and the screen was not clipped. Browser connection seemed to still not work.
    Peter

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007