Installing Windows 98 SE

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by gemillam, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Astral_Nomad

Astral_Nomad Bit poster

i dont know if its been said before... but if so, im going to repeat this... the link to the boot disks at http://www.svrops.com/svrops/dwnlddisk.htm ARE VIRUSED.

i just did a scan on them after downloading all the dos and win98 boot images.. and they all came back with a malware alert. I found them with Avast4 antivirus.

heres the details:

Virus: WelcomB-B
    Type: Worm

its located in the image files. Just giving you guys a heads up... always scan your downloads..

2. jbh001

jbh001 Member

Then I must have the only bootable Windows 98SE install CDROM on the planet.:)

3. Digital_Death

Digital_Death Bit poster

Windows 95, 98, 98se, and Me FREEZING

Hey folks, I'm new to the forum, but not new to the subject.

Something most are not posting is their configurations. As many may have either forgotten or never known: Windows 9x does not support more than 512 memory and even 512Mb can cause problems with corruption and random lockups-Especially at shutdown.

I've configured and run windows 98se on several computers and have never had a lockup problem. What I DO have a problem with is AUDIO drivers. It seems the driver isn't in the latest version of Parallels for Windows Version 2.2 build 2112.

Any one come across this?

4. Digital_Death

Digital_Death Bit poster

I have several Bootable Windows 98 SE CD's. They HAVE TO SAY for Systems WITHOUT Windows. Microsoft then decided they didn't need to make a bootable Windows ME CD, which boggles the mind. Some of the Disks I have came wish Softwindows or Virtual PC. Many OEM disks - The ones that have " For Distribution with a new PC Only. For Product support, contact the manufacturer of your PC." printed on them.

5. Digital_Death

Digital_Death Bit poster

Bootable Floppy Disk Creators.

For those who need a utility to create the Windows 98, 98Se or ME boot floppies, go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and download the appropriate disk. I have found that if you use a windows ME floppy to format the drive it can create problems if installin window 98. Not sure what the problem is, but it gives an error or message about the disks formatting. Please make sure you format FAT 32 if you intend of using a larger disk image. It's faster, more efficient and supports drive sizes up to 32Gb (I think) though some versions of Windows only supports up to 8Gb.(Windows 95se and Windows 98)

6. jbh001

jbh001 Member

Maybe you are referring to something else, but the latest version of Parallels is version 2.5 Build 3188 (the transporter that corresponds to this can be had here). I haven't had problems with the audio drivers since Build 3120.

When you install Parallels Tools, it should automatically place sound and video drivers that you can manually install at C:\Program Files\Parallels\Parallels Tools

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  7. chrisburrough

chrisburrough Bit poster

How do I load win98 without a floppy drive? Can a FDD image be used somehow/

Thanks,

Chris

8. hotoru@yahoo.com

hotoru@yahoo.com Bit poster

Win 95 Install Problems

Having problems installing Windows 95. It really seems like the Parallels folks could write a *simple* walkthrough for the most common OS. Win95/98, XP, ME I have read several posts here but all seem to leave key points out. Has anyone written one for Windows 95? Specfically one with steps that your grandmother could follow ;)

I downloaded the FreeDOS image file above. No mention on specifically how to use it. Sat on my desktop for awhile before I figured out I had to link to it under the Parallels resources tab. When I hit the Play button on parallels still fails to find floppy. says I have no OS installed on my system. This is getting frustrating. At this rate I will no have Win 95 installed to test by the end of my 14 day trial. (Specifically want win 95 or 98 to run older childrens games)

Any help appreciated,
    Thanks,

9. hotoru@yahoo.com

Recognize as floppy?

Ok, I downloaded the Win98SE from bootdisk.com I burned as a CD but parallels will not recognize. How do I get parallels to recognize as a floppy image? I tried copying all the files to a folder but parallels need a file.

Thx,
    Hotoru
    Intel Mac Mini No floppy drive

10. hotoru@yahoo.com

It Lives!

Ok, I finally think I have it working on a mac mini intel. Thank you for all of the help on this forum. I will not repeat this exellent post #52

I would like to add a few points that I ran into during setup and summarize to hopefully help others.

--Download the virtual OS floppy in post #32
    --After you do the inital setup on post #52 of the OS set the Floppy drive to the FDD file you downloaded in post #32
    --Then click the green play button
    -- ***** The VM kept failing to connect to drives on me until I finally noticed a little floppy drive with a red X on it on the bottom right of the VM window. I clicked on it and hit connect. Then I rebooted the VM and presto.. finally recognized the floppy drive.
    --Boot with CD Rom support
    --Now you have essentially booted to a virtual floppy but have an unformatted HDD
    --You will then need to use the FDISK on A: to mount the HDD C
    --Then reboot the VM
    --Again, select with CD Rom support
    --Now you have a mounted drive that is unformatted
    --Go to the Windows install CD Drive (win 95 for me) probably with D:
    --The Format file is on the install CD for windows
    --Type "Format C: /s" without quotes
    --After drive formated then you can run the setup.exe file on the windows install CD on (proabaly on the D: drive)
    --then follow setup instructions for windows..

....phew... Now I just have to get the sound working :)
    Hotoru

11. redfox

redfox Bit poster

Just for the record (and since I had a lot of trouble at first, having forgotten a lot of my Windows knowledge since migrating to Unixland):

I have a MacBook and an OEM bootable CD of Win 98 SE (from an old PC), and am using the latest Parallels (3188?). I installed a virtual machine for Win 98, but couldn't get the OS to install at first, as it couldn't read anything useful from the default floppy image.

I downloaded the bootdisk image as described by Gaijin, and unzipped the folder. Then I changed the VM setup (Edit->Virtual Machine) to point to the .fdd file in the unzipped folder for its floppy drive. I also used the Image Tool in the Parallels application folder to create an ISO image of my CD, and pointed the VM at that instead of my optical drive (partly because I'd read somewhere that it would be a bit quicker, and partly because my install CD was rather scratched and I was worried it might fail halfway through!).

I made sure that the boot sequence was CD first (click on Windows 98 in the list on the left, then on the "Boot" tab on the right - IIRC), then restarted the VM. Hey presto! Flawless install :D

Hope this helps anyone else with the same setup!

12. titetanium

titetanium Member

I know it's probably way too late to chime in, but floppies are so old technology. I don't remember the steps I did, but I was able to convert DOS 6.22, win 98/ME floppy boot disks into bootable cds. I have those cd's with me to use for emergency repairs.

Just to let you all know that this is possible, but unfortunately, I didn't document the steps I took to create them. :-(

13. tiberius

tiberius Bit poster

thanks!

What a pain!

I've never done any work in DOS before of anything but express installs with Parallels-- but somehow managed to get win 95 working-- Thanks a lot everyone!

You might want to give some detailed step by step on the dos commands, because some people (me) have no idea what they are doing, and it would save some guess and check work.

Anyway ... thanks a bunch for your help. Now I'm off to play some ridiculously old games.

14. terrymac

terrymac Bit poster

Install Windows 98SE only so far

I need help!

I successfully booted using the Jim Waugh .FDD image file and I successfully began the installation of Windows 98SE by means of an ISO image of my installation CD. After 90 or so minutes of what seemed a successful installation - things went bad. I started to receive dialogue boxes stating that certain (unknown to me) devices could not be found/installed. This is the stage where I lost my way.

I was able to get Windows to start but only in safe mode but i could do nothing with it.

On the black screen i received the following message:

"Cannot find device file that may be needed to run Windows.
    The Windows registry or SYSTEM>INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists.

If you deleted this file on purpose, try reinstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup program.

If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file
    vnetsup.vxd
    Press a key to continue"

When I pressed a key I received the same message for three more files: vnetbios.vxd, vredir.vxd, and dfs.vxd.

Now, I have got absolutely no idea what this all means.

Does this mean I have a faulty installation CD disc?

Can anyone out there help me please?

15. jbh001

jbh001 Member

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  16. terrymac

terrymac Bit poster

Install Windows 98SE Only So Far

Thank you for the response. I will follow your instructions and hope for the best. I have followed the instructions in the Parallels manual so far and I have had the same result four times. This adds up to a lot of wasted time. I will report back soon.

17. terrymac

terrymac Bit poster

Install Windows Only So far

Thank you jbh001 - I really appreciate your help. I followed your instructions exactly and Windows 98SE installed without any problems. I also installed the sound driver successfully.

The only thing is that when I shut down using start-shut down-OK, I receive a black screen and I have to manually hit the stop button on the VM configuration. When I start the VM again it goes through the scan disk operation checking for errors on c: saying that Windows was not shut down properly. It is not a big deal but it is a little inconvenient. Is this what you meant about Windows freezing on shutdown because of the sound driver near the end of your comprehensive instructions?

Thanks again.

18. jbh001

jbh001 Member

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  19. jbh001

jbh001 Member

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  20. terrymac

terrymac Bit poster

Work Around for Windows 98SE Shutdown Problem

I'm afraid that I need some assistance with the process suggested here. I do not know how to create the suggested batch file nor do I understand the subsequent instructions.

Any chance of some help please?