Cisco VPN not passing through to Windows?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by bbrantley, Apr 3, 2007.

1. bbrantley

bbrantley Bit poster

Hi all,

I have Cisco VPN for OS/X. It works great on the Mac side. Lately (since I upgraded to 3188, I think) I don't have access on the Windows side. Actually, I just don't have DNS support... I can access machines on the OS/X VPN side by IP.

Does anyone know how I go about enabling DNS resolution in the Windows VM?

If so, thank you!

Ben

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

You need to use shared networking for your VM. You may need to manually add DNS servers to the Windows environment. This will be obvious if you can ping a VPN network host by IP but not by hostname.

3. bbrantley

bbrantley Bit poster

DKP,

Thanks for the comments. Shared networking is enabled. I tried setting a DNS entry manually in Windows -- in my case, the DNS that OS/X is reporting (from a dig or nslookup, e.g.) is the DNS that I keyed into Windows' network settings. No dice.

???

Ben

4. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Can you ping a host on the VPN network from OS X then ping that returned IP in Windows (cmd session)? Just trying to see if it's a routing problem or a DNS problem.

5. Faye

Faye Bit poster

I have a similar problem. I can ping OK, but in shared networking mode, I can't use the Avaya softphone client because of the port translation in use.

Is there any way to hardwire some ports? Or make Parallels live more happily with Cisco VPN?

Thanks

Faye

6. finiteyoda

finiteyoda Bit poster

I'm also having what sounds like a similar issue... Parallels worked fine on my company's corpnet, then I upgraded to 3188, everything still worked fine, but then I created a new XP image using 3188 and it no longer works.

Before, when I installed XP, on startup, it runs some script from our corpnet, which automatically sets everything up, and prompts me to enter my domain and username. Now, no script runs, it can't connect to the domain, all I can do is ping machines by IP address, but not access them in any other way it seems.

This is a real deal breaker for me, since the primary reason I got Parallels was to get full network access to our company's sophisticated corpnet, which OSX is only able to get web access on. Any ideas how I can get things to work again, short of going back to an older version of Parallels?