Mail Crashing--Blame Parallels?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by CStephen84, Apr 9, 2007.

1. CStephen84

CStephen84 Member

I'm using Mac OS v.10.4.9 and Parallels build 3188. My Mac Mail program crashes about 50% of the time upon opening. I have to think this has something to do with Parallels. I've never had problems before with the stability of the Mac or software for the Mac. Any comments/observations?

Steve

2. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

LOL

mail 2.11 never does on OS 10.4.9
    which versions are yours

how much empty hard disk space have you got ?
    16.5 out of 111 gb on mine

cloning Parallels took a lot of space

so I moved all the old stuff to a new FireWire disk

Hugh W

3. CStephen84

CStephen84 Member

Hugh--I'm using Mail 2.1.1 and OS 10.4.9 -- Same as you

How can I find out how much empty hard disk space I have?

Thanks!

4. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Try doing a Right click on your mac hard disk on the desktop and use the "Get Info" command.

I have Mail 2.1.1 with parallel build 3188 which I use for about 8 hours at least 2 days per week and I do not have any instability.

Have you tried to do a "Verify disk" In the Disk Utility application?

You could also have a corrupt email causing issues, this happened to me before. It was a long and painful process but basically I had to figure out which email file was corrupted and get rid of it. Mind you this was right after I had done the switch to MAC, and thus imported my emails from my linux machine. As soon as I got rid of the corrupted emails, mail was a model of stability and this was 5 years ago under 10.4.2.

5. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

that is the windows way of doing things :)

on a mac

single click any icon to select it

ctrl + I
    will get the info

OR

Mac menu bar >> Finder >> File >> Get Info

AND
    if you select multiple icon first
    by drawing a rectangle with the mouse button held down

you get info for all of them

AND

ctrl + W shuts any window

AND in case of panic

ctrl + period
    stops any process

One of the reasons artists love the Mac is the same short cuts work in (almost) any application

enjoy

Hugh W

6. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

It is command + I. But that after selecting an icon tells you only the usage of what is in the folder, not the disk. The desktop, btw, in true object oriented fashion, is just a folder (one that is always open), so command + I will tell you about the Desktop's capacity.

You need to select the disk drive and right click or command + I to learn what is available for free space.

7. CStephen84

CStephen84 Member

I'm using 51 of 111 gigabytes. How do you find a corrupted email? Try to open them all? I'm willing. Haven't run Verify Disk yet but will today or tomorrow. Thanks.

8. mpedant

mpedant Bit poster

Me too

More than half the time, after running Parallels, Mail 2.1.1 will not start up on my MBP 10.4.9 - it sits on the dock with its black arrow but a mail viewer window never opens and the application doesn't respond; normally the whole computer will then hang if i try and force-quit mail.

Rebooting the computer while holding down the shift key (what's mac-ese for "Safe Mode"?!) takes a long time but cures the problem.

9. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Uh-oh... Try un-installing Parallels to see if that fixes it. Back-up first!

Here is a thread: http://forum.parallels.com/thread1226.html

Are you asking what the safe-mode key is?

10. mpedant

mpedant Bit poster

Thanks Eru.

Um, not really the point. Mail typically will not launch after I use Parallels. So I suppose uninstalling Parallels would fix the problem, but I bought Parallels because I need to use it. Uninstalling it would mean I couldn't use it. This seems to echo a problem CStephen84 has been having. Could be a bug in Parallels then.

(I also know the safe mode key (shift, like I said in my message), but just didn't know the official Mac terminology (maybe it's "Safe Mode", I dunno!))

11. hhwong

hhwong Member

12. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

I figured as much... I was just confuzzled yesterday I guess.

As to un-installing, I meant to say do a fresh install afterwards. Geez, I need to say what I mean. But before doing the fresh install, see if Mac Mail works. In which case we know for SURE what is messing with Mail.