3188 + XP update MS07-017 = reboot continuously

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by b.c, Apr 11, 2007.

1. b.c

b.c Junior Member

to date, I've been successfully running Parallels build 3188 on a MacBook Pro Core2Duo, Windows XP SP2

last week, a new XP security update came out, (MS security bulletin MS07-017, Apr3/07), I believe this is the fix for the animated cursor vulnerability in XP.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS07-017.mspx

if I install this update, upon rebooting the VM, partway through boot process I get a momentary blue screen error, and the VM reboots again (endless loop of reboots, thereafter)

Our PC IT guy has not seen this update problem on any of our PCs, so I assume it may be some kind of conflict between this particular update and Parallels drivers. in addition to Parallels tools, I've also got the Bootcamp v1.2 drivers installed (to use the built-in iSight camera)

I've run all the other XP updates to date without problem.

Fortunately I have my VM archived on external FW disk, so I can restore to previous state. but the problem is repeatable every time I try to install this particular update.

by the way, although the blue screen flashes by only momentarily before reboot, I caught the error message using a screencapture. it says:
    "STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
    The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000026c (0x00000000 0x00000000). "

Question: has anyone else installed this specific XP update successfully on 3188?

better yet, anyone have a suggestion to the problem and a fix?

thanks!

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Have you tried re-installing Parallels tools?

3. b.c

b.c Junior Member

hi Eru - thanks for the suggestion.

I just tried that and... no dice. the VM still reboots continuously after installing the XP update.
    BTW, I tried both:
    a) known good VM + update Parallels tools, restart, then XP update, then restart = NG
    b) known good VM + XP update, then before restart update Parallels tools, then restart = NG

interestingly, I installed several other XP security updates that came out this week (MS07-018 through -022) and these all installed successfully without problem. only the particular MS07-017 causes the reboot problem.

any other ideas?

4. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

The bootcamp drivers might be at the center of the problem. I don't have them installed but have all the fixes for XP including that particular one and I have not the least issue upon booting my XP. Keep in mind that the bootcamp drivers are beta drivers until bootcamp becomes a released product or functionality of next Mac OS X version. They are also designed to interface with the real hardware of the Mac when booting natively in Windows. Some of them (those USB based in fact) may very well give apparently good results (as was reported for the isight for instance) inside the Parallels VM but that is NOT what they were designed and built for in the first place. Which leaves plenty of room for things to go mad... :( ;-)

5. b.c

b.c Junior Member

an update to my problem - now solved

I guess that XP automatic update download file must somehow have been corrupted? or perhaps some strange conflict with the autoupdate mechanism.
    Each time I started from last known working copy of the VM, when automatic update downloaded the update, it resulted in a bad install. This was true even if I changed the auto update setting in XP from [auto download and install], to [auto download but let me choose when to install].

I finally decided to try manually re-downloading the particular update directly from MS knowledge base webpage and then manually installing it. i.e. ignoring the Auto Update section of the Control Panels/Security Center settings. now everything is fine after manually downloading and installing. go figure

anyhow, now happily back to work. sorry for interrupting your regularly scheduled program :)

6. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Glad it all works now!

7. imsbwatson

imsbwatson Bit poster

How did you solve this problem? Hitting the space bar during boot for me is getting to a screen where I have but one profile. Am I completely screwed? I don't know how to fix this problem and my company's accounting file is on that partition. I was just booting into Parallels to back it up too. :(

Any help would be *greatly* appreciated.