Parallels should not exceed screen size

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by rroy, Apr 11, 2007.

1. rroy

rroy Bit poster

I ran into a huge problem after installing kubuntu in Parallels Workstation 2.2 for Windows/Linux. During the installation I selected a screen resolution of 1920x1080, among others, thinking that it's just a wishlist of screen sizes to choose from later on. Since the installation never asked me what my preferred resolution was, PW resized to 1920x1080 which prevented my from accessing the Linux menus since it was so far off screen and PW prevented me from resizing its frame. It would be nice if PW allowed a user to resize its window and if need be add scrollbars within the client area in order to scroll around and view all parts of the guest OS desktop.

Thanks,
    Rob

2. tgrogan

tgrogan Pro

What you are seeing is a Linux user error that cannot be addressed by a virtualization product. You told Linux the size of your monitor, and it used it. Generally, the X server in Linux will always choose the 'best/largest' option in it's list. Long ago it used to choose the 'worst/smallest'. If you don't know the size of your monitor, start with something small like 800x600, and increase it after Linux starts the first time. PW did not re-size anything - it just ran the virtual machine. Obviously, you are a Linux newbie so take your time and learn how to install it properly. The cornerstone of Linux is 'let the user control their own destiny'. For all Linux knows you intended to take the hard drive to another computer and use it with a large monitor.

3. rroy

rroy Bit poster

More concerned that PW does not use scrollbars in the client area

This has nothing to do with the fact that I'm a Linux newbie. This has to do with usability.

If PW is windowed, i.e. it does not take up the entire screen, then the client area of the PW window should have scroll bars so the user can move around and see all areas of the virtual screen of the install OS, in this case Linux. VMware does it. Why can't PW? :confused:

If I have a 1024x768 screen size and I want the guess OS to also have a 1024x768 screen size when placed in full screen mode, then PW's window frame size should not automatically extend beyond the 1024x768 range in order to make the client area 1024x768. The PW window should completely fit within the screen and the client area should contain scroll bars. That way you don't have to drag the PW window left or right to get the tool bar in view in order to click on the full screen mode button.

4. navai

navai Bit poster

i'm agree with rroy