Fullscreen (Keeps resizing/moving icons)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Platinum Samples, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Platinum Samples

Platinum Samples Member

This never happened in the 1970 previous release build which I had installed before... If you flipped from Fullscreen to OS Window it would keep the screen size and resolution constant.. so when you flipped back to Fullscreen your icons remained where they belonged. Now in the OS Window if you drag the full sized window so that part of the Paralels main window is off screen and you toggle Fullscreeen the resolution and size of the OS Window is reduced and all icons are moved around.

Is there a setting/preference I'm missing?

Thanks,

Rail

2. Platinum Samples

Platinum Samples Member

No one else seeing this?

Rail

3. Platinum Samples

Platinum Samples Member

Surely I'm not the only one seeing this... and if I am.. what's the magic preference setting?

Rail

4. ddenara

ddenara Bit poster

Desktop Icons getting rearranged

I am seeing my desktop icons get rearraged as well. I have the desktop properties locked and it sitll happens.

I thought locking it would fix but I left my mac on over the weekend to see if they would stay. Upon logging back into Windows XP, the icons were rearranged.

Is there a fix ?

5. chanman

chanman Bit poster

I started to see the same after the 3188 upgrade. Then things became worst.

Now everytime I switch into Coherence mode, Parallels pops up a Mac OS X dialog box saying there is not enough memory allocated for the video mode and to increase video memory allocation. I have allocated from 16MB to the max at 32MB but the error remains.

I have reinstalled the Parallel tools package twice and am ready to wipe Parallels and reinstall. Don't think it will help but trying anyways.

- Sam

6. mattm84

mattm84 Bit poster

I am having the exact same problem and was about to post a question asking about this...

7. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

What is your screen resolution setting in OSX?

What is your screen resolution setting in XP?

Do you have the video driver enabled in Parallel tools?

8. mattm84

mattm84 Bit poster

Screen resolutions are the same in each (1900x1200) and the video driver is enabled in Parallel tools.

9. chanman

chanman Bit poster

Mac OS X screen resolution (MacBook Pro 17"): 1680 × 1050.
    Parallels resolution tried: 1680x1050, 1024x768, 800x600.

No matter what Parallels resolution tried, the same issue as previously posted occurs and it occurs regardless of the RAM size (16-32mb) devoted to "vid-RAM". Currently, my "vid-RAM" setting is at 16MB.

In addition to the issue posted previously when booting using Coherence mode, I'm now seeing the "not enough vid-RAM" issue when Parallels is in a Mac OS X window when booting with a resolution that is above 640x480.

Have a "mostly working" work-around:

- Launch Parallels into a normal Mac OS X window at 1024x768.
    - If it does not display a "not enough vid-RAM" error message, I will switch over to Coherence and all is well until the next reboot or "power-up".
    - If an error message appears, I shut down the VM (i.e. do a "cold" restart). Note that a "warm" boot will always repeat the "not enough vid-RAM problem". Also note that it sometimes takes two or three "cold boots" to get Parallels to stop popping up the error.

The above also somewhat keep Parallels/XP from shuffling the icons around on the desktop.