Logitech MX Mouse scroll wheel

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by webdeck, Oct 25, 2006.

1. webdeck

webdeck Member

When running XP in Parallels, the scroll wheel on my Logitech MX mouse is unreliable. It works fine in Mac OS X - it only has a problem in XP. Sometimes scrolling doesn't register at all. Other times, it will start to scroll a little bit, and then stop, even though I'm still spinning the wheel.

Do I need to install Logitech's drivers in XP as well? I didn't want to try that for fear that it would mess up the Parallels Tools mouse driver.

Thanks,
    -Mike

2. codepope

codepope Bit poster

I have the same problem with the Logitech MX revolution. The mouse wheel will work as far as I can tell for one 'spin' in any direction. Then, it appears, scroll events stop coming through. If you move the mouse itself a tiny amount, this then resets, and you can do another 'spin'. It's very odd.

3. codepope

codepope Bit poster

As a followup to this, in Coherence mode and 3036, the scroll whel behaves properly, but it still does the "forget to send scroll events after a scroll" in the OS Window mode.

What I notice is that it seems to be a focus issue. When you scroll the wheel the first time at the end of the scroll, the mouse pointer changes from the windows pointer to the mac pointer. Moving the mouse a tiny amount returns the focus to the windows session so the wheel works again. I deduce from this that Coherence mode has a different way of handling focus, where it doesn't lose the focus at the end of a scroll.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  4. codepope

codepope Bit poster

It works now....

Just updated the Logitech drivers to 2.12, and the mouse wheel seems to work just fine now in all modes.

5. codepope

codepope Bit poster

False positive - the Logitech driver actually broke, leaving the default mouse driver which does work. What this does tell us though is that it is the Logitech driver is at fault.

6. jwjohnson99

jwjohnson99 Member

I have the MX400. I don't use any drivers in XP, just the Logitech Control Center in Mac. You have to play around with the settings there a bit, but I've got it working in both Parallels/XP and Mac

7. amadex

amadex Bit poster

I do also have the MX Revolution with Logitech Control Center 2.13 and the scrolling wheel doesn't work well within the OS XP window. It works flawless in Mac OS... any solution?

8. abanks

abanks Hunter

According to my Windows parallels is only passing a generic mouse through and therefore you wouldnt be able to use the logitech control center in windows as it doesnt think you have a logitech mouse ??

9. PeterO

PeterO Junior Member

Has the Logitech Revolution mouse issue been resolved?

I am having the same problem where my Logitech Revolution mouse works fine in OS X but in Windows XP the scroll wheel works intermittently (seems to lose focus).
    Has anyone found a solution or workaround? jwjohnson99 mentioned tweaking the settings in the Logitech Control Center on the Mac, but I've played around and doesn't seem to help. Perhaps could be more specific in which settings were changed.
    Cheers,
    Peter O.

10. ManuCH

ManuCH Bit poster

Try using USB Overdrive instead of Logitech Control Center: with a Logitech MX1000 I can use the scroll wheel without problems.

11. PeterO

PeterO Junior Member

Still looking for Logitech Revolution mouse solution

Thanks ManuCH, but tried USB Overdrive and still not working.... everytime you stop scrolling with the wheel in Windows XP, focus shifts to OS X, so you have to move the mouse to regain focus so you can resume scrolling. Its a major nuissance.
    Peter O.

12. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

I only allow Logitech, Kensington and Apple at our office now. All of which work with Parallels without a hitch. What I do is install the driver software into the OS X side of things, and then it just 'works' after installing Parallels tools. Remember that Parallels is emulating your mouse, so if you install drivers in Windows XP for your mouse it typically just screws you over.

Try un-installing any mouse drivers you have installed in Parallels, un-install parallels tools then re-install them.

13. PeterO

PeterO Junior Member

USB Overdrive solved Logitech Revolution issue

My problems with the Logitech VX Revolution mouse occurred when I was using mouse synchronization in Parallels tools, which I think means I was using the Parallels generic mouse driver.
    Turns out installing USB Overdrive in OS X and using it to drive the Logitech mouse solved the problem (didn't work first time until I went through and uninstalled the Logitech drivers).
    Thanks for all your help,
    Peter O.

14. jwjohnson99

jwjohnson99 Member

Peter,

You sent me a PM, but I couldn't put an image in my reply there, so I will reply here.

I actually have the MX400 mouse. Here is my config screen in Mac System Preferences. Then I just use it normally in Windows XP under Paralles. I've had no scroll issues.

logitech.jpg

15. Art743

Art743 Member

have the answer for you. We did this some time back, but I can't find it. Another member directed me to "Steer Mouse" as an application that would let me double click, and I got it. But the scroll wheel still did not work as it did with windows drivers (Logitech Revolution).
    Then on the setup screen for Steer mouse, I saw a "tips" button, and when I clicked it, it gave instructions on how to use terminal in the mac OS to fix the issue. it worked, and then I have been fine since then. Both double click, and scrolling both in OS and Parallels.
    If you go to the Steer Mouse site, it is (was) the second FAQ in the support section as well.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited: May 6, 2007