New Mac - We Need Virtual OS/2 v4.52

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Mike Ryan, Apr 3, 2007.

1. warp4

warp4 Member

LT00073: FFST/2 is installed but is not started. LANTRAN.LOG is being created.
    IBM OS/2 LANMSGDD [11/02/01] 6.00 is loaded and operational.
    IBM OS/2 TCPBEUI 6.00.0
    TCPBEUI: Using a 32-bit data segment.
    Installing NETWKSTA.200 Version 6.0. IBM LAN Redirector ( Oct 10, 2001)

NET3406: An error occurred while opening network device driver NET1 = NETBEUI$.
    IBM OS/2 NETBIOS 4.0
    Adapter 0 has 223 NCBs, 130 sessions, and 20 names available to NETBIOS applications.
    NETBIOS 4.0 is loaded and operational.
    IBM LANVDD is loaded and operational.
    IBM OS/2 LAN Netbind
    TCPBEUI: Logical adapter 0 is trying to bind to TCP/IP interface lan0.

2. warp4

warp4 Member

[C:\]ver /r

The Operating System/2 Version is 4.50
    Revision 14.086

ie, 4.52

3. warp4

warp4 Member

So far, the 'network' would be between the MacBook and the VM; so where would the server be? Presumably in Parallels ..??

It would be nice if Parallels provided a virtual router for all this, with the usual web interface for setting it up, and a known IP [although it might be 10.211.55.1 ..?? OTOH, that doesn't ping.]

4. warp4

warp4 Member

I did a selective install of networking, and the error msgs went away ... ???!!!

However, the WarpVM still does not ping anything, except itself, and the Parallels network stuff still shows a red light and doesn't find a DHCP IP address. Frankly, this would all be much simpler if one could just assign fixed IP manually? But I'm at a loss what the "router" IP might be.

Maybe I don't understand the topology of the virtual network that Parallels sets up; certainly haven't found anything in the manuals ...

Anybody from Parallels read this??

5. Victor

Victor Member

The ip range and DHCP Settings under parallels is in the preferences dialog.

Parallels Desktop -> Preferences... -> Network

6. Mike Ryan

Mike Ryan Member

Success! Got v4.52 installed but...

I was able to get OS/2 Warp 4.52 installed last night but I haven't figured out how to get networking working or figure out how to get programs installed. I can get the CD to display the contents of a CD but it often hangs. Here are the instructions I used to get OS/2 installed:

1. Create custom VM. OS Type: OS/2, OS Version: OS/2 Warp 4.5, connect "warp_452_install.iso" to the VM

2. When disk partitioning is complete, press Ctrl-Alt-(fn)-Delete ("fn" in case you are using Macbook) and when you see frozen Boot from hard drive ... - stop VM

3. Go to Configuration Editor up in the Parallels toolbar at the top of the screen (not in the session window), change CD image to warp_452_install.iso, change Boot Sequence to CD-ROM, Hard Disk, Floppy then start VM.

4. After installation completed change Boot Sequence to Hard Disk, CD-ROM, Floppy.

I forgot to do this last step and when I go back to change the configuration it says to stop the VM. When I do that the whole session closes up entirely. It restarts fine.

---------------

If I can get networking working then I need help figuring out how to get programs installed. I was able to copy over a few files from CD before the CD function froze.

Mike

7. Mike Ryan

Mike Ryan Member

This morning I was able to install Object Desktop 2.0, Embellish and PMView 2000. All work as they should.

What I need is a bridge from my Mac Pro desktop to/from OS/2. The only current bridge I have is to burn content to CD then mount the CD in OS/2. Without CD burning software I am unable to move items out of OS/2 and back to the Mac desktop.

I have no networking so I can't send items to myself (as a bridge). I am totally lost when it comes to setting up networking to access the internet.

Those are the two things I need most right now. An ability to move items from one system to the other easily and access to the internet!

This is all looking much better!

Mike

8. Victor

Victor Member

Hi Mike,

The network issue was discussed earlier in the thead, so it should work. How did you set up the video driver? What resolution do you have and which card driver?

Thanks

Victor (still working on the install!)

9. Mike Ryan

Mike Ryan Member

I know it was discussed earlier but I don't get it. If someone could just post the information in a less technical fashion. For instance, when I go to the MPTS feature according to the info above I should see the RTL8029.NIF file there but I don't. Yet if I go to an OS/2 prompt and change to the A:\ drive it is there, found under A:\RTL8029\OS2. I can't select it tho when I want to "add" it to the MPTS configuration. I don't understand how to mount the "A" drive and assume it is mounted if I can access it from a command prompt. Arghhh!

Another frustration but livable:

When I start the Warp 4.5 icon on the desktop it says: "Please check your configuration! CD/DVD-ROM 1 image file /Desktop/warp_452.iso could not be found. Do you want to continue anyway?"

I say yes and it then boots from the hard drive. I was supposed to change the boot sequence prior to leaving the original installation but I forgot. Now when I try to go back and change that boot sequence (so I don't get stopped with the message above and can proceed to boot up from hard drive) the program says I must quit the OS/2 program and change my configuration. But when I quit the whole thing closes up and I can't get back to the configuration menu.

I need to know how to fix that permanently now, so it boots from the hard drive.

Video driver: Hummm... when I got to System Properties I have it set to 1024 X 768 X 256. Above that screen resolution setting it says:

Selected monitor No monitor is selected

Above that it says:

Select monitor from Page 2 to enable higher resolutions or refresh rates. At page 2 is the list of monitors but none are selected.

So I'm assuming it is relying on the VGAGradd.sys driver. I would like better resolution although what I have is alright. What driver should be used - can any be selected from the monitor listing on Page 2?

Also, the inability to copy data/text from an OS/2 window and paste it into a Mac window (like this, I could paste the config.sys for others to view) is frustrating. I can't burn it to CD either unless I can install RSJ or CDRecord and I have no idea if that will even work.

I got the install instructions from a guy working with Parallels. They sent him the instructions (above) and I just followed them and Warp 4.52 installed. Works great except for networking, sound and the ability to copy/in/out or move items in/out.

10. SanJoseBen

SanJoseBen Member

I got networking working quite easily. I can't remember exactly how it happened but I'll try to give you the gist. Sorry for the lack of knowledge on my part. First time running OS/2. During installation, it gets to the point where you have to create a user and set up networking to continue. It wants a driver, so I click the floppy icon in the bottom of the parallels window. Connect "vmtools.fdd". Tell OS/2 to search the A drive and it found it. After installation completed and OS booted, I went to "TCP/IP Configuration" under the System Tools button on the toolbar. I made sure "Enable Interface" is checked as well as "Automatically, Using DHCP" and then OK. Running Netscape loaded netscape.com. Didn't seem that hard, but not very obvious.

11. Mike Ryan

Mike Ryan Member

Ok. I was able to find the vmtools.fdd in the library/parallels/tools/ folder and connect the image that way. Then I added the RTL8029.NIF driver. I rebooted and the system said it was the

Loading PCI Ethernet Network Adapter
    Network driver v.2.2 is installed

and we proceed to the desktop. I start Netscape and it says it can't find ibm.com. I open a prompt and ping ibm.com but it says it is unable to find such a site. So I still have no 'Net connection.

Any ideas?

Also, I seemed to have picked up a double mouse pointer. How to fix that?

Here's a screen shot of the MPTS window with the RTL8029.NIF driver added. Was I supposed to do something more?

[​IMG]
    Mike

12. SanJoseBen

SanJoseBen Member

I didn't touch that screen. Like I said, after the desktop, I just went to the TCP/IP configuration screen and set it to use DHCP. I may have rebooted, but that's really all I did.

13. Mike Ryan

Mike Ryan Member

WaaaHOO! That did it! Took me two tries - it automatically reboots but on the second try I clicked on Mozilla and the IBM home page appeared!

And for some unknown reason I've lost that second (shadow) mouse.

Ok. So is this the only way we have to bridge files from one system to the other? In short, I do a lot of spreadsheets using Lotus123, dbases, and other items and need to work on them then use them on my Mac Pro. As far as I can figure out the OS/2 user has the Internet to transfer files between the two or can copy files to CD on the Mac and mount the same CD under OS/2. This latter avenue allows me access into OS/2 but getting them out of OS/2 would mean installing something like CDRecord and burning to CD. I'm not so sure CDRecord would be able to work with my SuperDrives. Same with RSJ. I think RSJ has to have specific drivers for various CDRom manufacturers.

Any information or suggestions on how to create a better bridge?

Mike

14. wangooroo

wangooroo Junior Member

Overthinking the ISO question

Why are so many people overthinking the ISO question?

Built in to Mac OSX's disk utility you have the ability to create an image of a CD or DVD and save it as a CD/DVD master with a .cdr extension. Simply rename to .iso and you have the ISO you need.

Why are so many people relying on third party tools and utilities to create an ISO when you have what you need built in to the OS to begin with!?!

15. Mike Ryan

Mike Ryan Member

I did use the Parallels Tools ISO maker program to make the OS/2 iso images even tho' I have three other programs that could have made the iso's for me. I *like* the Parallels Tools ISO maker and made iso's of my Mac Pro install disks and a few other thigs. I really like it!

I think those advocating third party programs are either unaware of the Parallels Tools ISO maker or have a personal preference.

I chose the Parallel's ISO maker because I figured I'd be using the ISOs made by Parallels in a Parallels session and that would ensure compatibility.

Mike

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  16. Mike Ryan

Mike Ryan Member

Hi Chuck, et al

I have Warp 4.52 installed and running just fine - including networking and now I'd like to try and improve or adjust things.

For instance, is there a better video driver? I'm using a 24" Intel iMac and the difference between the two screen resolutions (Mac vs OS/2) is very apparent. I think OS/2 is using the VGAGradd drivers and I have it set to 1024X768.

In your post you say you installed the "clipboard and mouse tools" - what do they do? I'm trying to find some way to move files from OS/2 to Mac and back to OS/2. The only way I can see to do this is over the internet by either sending them to myself or ftp'ing them to a friend's website and downloading them again. I can also burn files on the Mac and mount the CD in OS/2 then transfer them that way but I can't do that in reverse because I don't have CDRecord or RSJ installed (and not even sure they would work).

And how about this: I have a great Warp 4.52 system set up on my old desktop computer. I would really like to transfer it over and replace my current Parallels version with my old system - but in Parallels. I guess to do that I'd have to make a copy of my old setup, burn to CD or DVD then mount the CDROM in OS/2 and copy the files over. I don't want to overwrite any of the needed Parallels settings and I don't know what files those would be. I suppose I'd have to adjust the config file.

Does anyone think this is possible?

Other questions related to eCS. I have eCS v1.2R and became frustrated trying to get it installed under Parallels. I could probably do it now that I have Warp 4.52 working but it's having to hand insert the registration code that keeps me at a distance.

I want to buy the upgrade to eCS 2.0 when it is released because there are probably some new things in it that will be worth the cost and trouble. Do you know if the people who make eCS are going to add instructions for installing eCS 2.0 under Parallels?

Thanks for any input.

Mike

17. SanJoseBen

SanJoseBen Member

I have never really used OS/2 before, but I would be surprised if it couldn't mount Windows shares (SMB/CFS) or Unix Net File System (nfs) shares. It may even be able to mount AppleTalk or other Mac Apple File Protocol shares (AFP). Since OS X supports all three of these share types, (SMB/CFS & AFP built-in and nfs controlled via 3rd Party software like SharePoints). I would bet that OS/2 can share files on the network using one of these protocols as well. Just set up one or the other as a file server, probably the mac, so the virtual machine has less to do, and mount the share on the other one, in my recommendation the OS/2 vm. Then copy the files between the two. Should be more convenient than ftp as it's usually drag and drop.

As to migrating your old system over to the VM, do you want the whole thing? Apps, docs, settings, etc? You might try using a backup program to CDs or an extrernal drive via USB, and then restore via the backup software. If it's just files, you could copy via the network. I don't know how OS/2 is, but when migrating mac or windows systems, I prefer a fresh install of the OS and apps, copying files and maybe prefs manually.

I can't speak about eCS or the video driver, sorry.

Good luck!

18. Mike Ryan

Mike Ryan Member

Thanks SJB for all the tips. I'll have to check with someone more knowledgeable then me about what OS/2 will share with. It would make it much easier to be able to copy the files between the two systems.

As for migrating - OS/2 can take a lot of tweaking and I spent a couple of years working with a great OS/2 system that remains in working condition on another machine. Most OS/2 users dislike starting anew because files that were once available (to improve or enhance the system) are no longer available. I may try copying over some of the files I know to help or add to the system rather then track them down. I'll see how this type of copy and overwrite goes. You'll run into this when you install the latest releases of Firefox and Thunderbird. They won't start without a particular third party dll. It might be easier for those of us with prior OS/2 systems to simply copy those working programs and their related files over to the OS/2 vm. I don't know where to look to find that third party dll. Same with Flash. There is a known beta Flash 7 that was never released publicly but was privately passed around and it made OS/2 much better. Almost impossible to find now unless another OS/2 user passes it along to you.

I have to admit, after using OSX for so long I found myself a little lost once I had OS/2 running. You have to drag items with the right mouse, not the left. Control Escape pops up the task menu so you know what is running. There are a thousand little items you need to know to make the OS easier to use. It is object oriented the way OSX is and that is a big plus. Download something and you can find it easily. For several years there I was a command line user. It was far easier to "c:\desktop> md downloads (make a folder on the desktop called "downloads") then it was any other way.

BTW, if you need help or need tips with OS/2 I'll be happy to help.

Are you using any special video driver or whatever OS/2 used during the install? If you are using the standard IBM GRADD then there must be something better. OS/2 desktops and applications look much better, naturally, when not in VGA.

Mike

19. SanJoseBen

SanJoseBen Member

Ok, I finally found the place to look in Setup. I'm using "Generic VESA Unaccelerated & VGA GRADDs"

I have it running at 1024x768 & 16.7 M Colors. I can't answer more than that. I'll try imstalling OS/2 into VMware Fusion Beta 3 and see if it used an "accelerated" driver.

20. SanJoseBen

SanJoseBen Member

VMware didn't work. It turns out that it was VMware's lack of OS/2 support that lead directly to the creation of Parallels :)