Possibly a clean solution for "USB device in use" problem

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by karunko, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Mikabomb

Mikabomb Bit poster

USB-Dongle

Hey!

Read all your entries, tried the ideas, but my dongle is still "busy" though not in the therminal anymore ...

I have truly no idea why and I really need to get through to my cad programm ...

I do use the 3150 Version on a Macbook core duo with winxp.
    The target I am hadding to is to use a cad-programm for architectural drawings. WITH an USB dongle. Sadly...

Thanx for replies!

PS
    From Germany, thats the cause for my bad english. ;)

2. debshep

debshep Bit poster

Nothing working for USB device in use error

I have watched and read the USB "wait 5 or 10 seconds" thread for a couple weeks now.

Am running an iMac core 2 duo with 10.4.8 and am wanting to simply connect a PRINTER. For crying out loud, why even write VM software if it can't do BASIC output? It sounds like this is a very common problem - so why hasn't it been adressed by the folks at Parallels?http://forums.parallels.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

I have no new USB drivers load when connecting my HP printer (for which I spoke to HP and have generic "print only" drivers). I have no

com.parallels.kext.ConnectUSB

driver loaded, so no help from that tip.

I must admit, I am computer USER - not someone who regularly gets on the terminal and runs a bunch of commands. THAT was one of the beauties of the MAC, unlike windoze (where you were REQUIRED to learn the nuts and bolts just to do basic stuff).

I will be returning my Parallels pronto if there is no obvious fix in sight. I can be thankful for the return policy, I guess. What a shame...http://forums.parallels.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

3. drval

drval Pro

Are you using RC3?

4. debshep

debshep Bit poster

What is RC3?

5. drval

drval Pro

RC3 is Release Candidate 3 of Parallels. It has far enhanced USB support than the "boxed" version 1970. It isn't clear to me from your posts whether you're trying to address your USB-related issues using the latest posted version or not. If you're using the "boxed" release then you won't see a resolution.

6. debshep

debshep Bit poster

I'm using 1970. I quickly searched RC3 after your post and am downloading it as we write. I'll update and see if it fixes the problem.

Thanx..

7. debshep

debshep Bit poster

USB fixed with RC3

:) RC3 did the trick for me regarding usb unavailability. The installation and migration was slick as well.

New problem: Now when I stop my VM, parallels exits immediately. I cannot get to the configuration editor since I had set the Guest OS to start automatically. Any help?:confused:

8. drval

drval Pro

You always use Text Edit to open and modify the PVS file.

Glad that RC3 made the difference for you re: the first issue.

9. bfleming

bfleming Bit poster

New Parallels Build 3188 Solves Problem

Try downloading build 3188, released Mar. 7, 2007. This seems to have solved my USB connectivity issues.

10. tom27

tom27 Member

(not all) problems solved - still not working

While I am happy that for some the problem seems solved, I want to confirm that neither RC3 nor the build 3188 does help on my MBP.

The USB dongle is still reported as "used by another device" and it is impossible to get it running via various terminal commands.

Cheers
    Tom

11. mtlee

mtlee Bit poster

I also continue to have problems with 3188. It appears to be somewhat random, in that it works sometimes and not at others. The unload operations referenced earlier in this thread, while successfully performed, do not make a difference. Rebooting both the VM and OS X seems to work, if I connect the Treo right afterwards.

Does anybody know of any other OS X applications / utilities that might be grabbing the Palm when it's connected? I am an OS X newbie, so I don't know - is there an equivalent to the XP Task Manager that allows one to see everything that's running?

Mike

12. maveric32

maveric32 Bit poster

Hello,
    I'm have similar issues with an external usb hard drive. I don't know what you mean by opening a terminal and typing these lines of text inside???

13. maveric32

maveric32 Bit poster

usb hard drive

Hello,
    new to mac. I have a usb hard drive that i have used with windows xp pro. i installed parallels desktop for mac and installed windows xp pro on the mac. when i install the usb device, i see the icon on the mac desktop but never see it in the windows desktop. it always states the device is in ues. I don't understand when you mentioned to ope a terminal etc. I would like to drag and drop files from the mac to the usb and from the usb to the mac or windows desktop. Maybe i don't understand all this...very confusing.

greg

14. simon.jones

simon.jones Bit poster

I too am having problems with a USB device being "held" by OSX. The device is a USB dongle supplied by a company called Microcosm in the UK. I have run kextstat but with the dongle plugged in I can't see any entries at the bottom of the list that look like USB drivers.

Here is a selection of the output only showing drivers with USB in the name. Do any of these look likely candidates to unload?

36 13 0x517000 0x1a000 0x19000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily (2.6.5) <6 5 4 3>
    37 0 0x8ff000 0xe000 0xd000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBUHCI (2.7.0) <36 16 5 4 3>
    38 0 0x974000 0x12000 0x11000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI (2.7.0) <36 16 5 4 3>
    40 0 0x94d000 0x9000 0x8000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBHub (2.6.5) <36 11>

56 0 0x7f3000 0x3000 0x2000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBComposite (2.6.5) <36 11>
    58 2 0x564000 0x5000 0x4000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver (2.6.5) <36 19 11>
    59 0 0x569000 0x3000 0x2000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBTCKeyboard (1.5.0a1) <58 36 19 11>
    60 0 0x98b000 0x2000 0x1000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBTCKeyEventDriver (1.5.0a1) <19 11>
    61 0 0x6d8000 0x18000 0x17000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBTrackpad (1.5.0a1) <36 19 11>
    com.apple.driver.AppleUSBBluetoothHCIController (1.7.14f14) <63 36 11>
    65 0 0x73b000 0x3000 0x2000 com.apple.driver.CSRUSBBluetoothHCIController (1.7.14f14) <64 63 11>
    66 0 0x963000 0x2000 0x1000 com.apple.driver.AppleUSBMergeNub (2.6.0) <36 11>
    67 0 0x56c000 0x9000 0x8000 com.apple.iokit.IOUSBUserClient (2.7.0) <36 11>
    80 0 0x8f5000 0x4000 0x3000 com.parallels.kext.ConnectUSB (2.5.0) <36 11 6 5 4 3>

If I could get an OSX driver for the dongle will this help my cause?

BTW I'm running build 3188

15. soundzen

soundzen Junior Member

XP usb error on mac

HELP!!! i have that pop-up error from xp running on my parallels macbook, saying i have usb pen in use by another prog and that i must stop it manualy - HOW, IS THE BIG QUESTION since i have lost on my XP down-right taskbar, the arrowed green icon that allows me to unplug all usb available and plugged

when i plug the pen its the mac that recognises it and never the xp virtual machine... very annoying since i need to transfer files into windows (autocad drawings) whenever im not at the office to get some work done during weekend on my mac osx!

heres the image >>> http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ishot2um2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  16. soundzen

soundzen Junior Member

How can get my Shared Folders to work?

In Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs.
    Select Parallels Tools, and click Remove.
    Close all open applications (if any), and reboot Windows.
    Open Windows/System32/drivers and remove the prlfs.sys file, if it is still present.
    Select Install Parallels Tools from the Actions menu.
    Reboot Windows again.
    :cool:

------

is this te way to create inside my mac osx a common folder where the parallels xp can access my files? ...that way i wont need the net or usb pen while booting! :p

17. Fone_Fanatic

Fone_Fanatic Bit poster

I followed this thread from beginning and tried everything, but nothing worked! So last night i decided to kextunload every kernel extenstion with USB in it. The second one i disabled killed the keyboard on my MB, it wouldn't work in MacOSx(only the eject button would work). So I restarted and kept going through unloading anything with USB in it, nothing worked.

So out of frustration i just shutdown my MB using Ctrl-Option-Command-Eject and decided i'll mess with it later.
    Now I started parallels desktop and windows was already loaded (didn't have to go through the xd boot screen) I plugged in my pocket pc, and IT WORKS!!!

I don't know how but its working now. Hopefully it stays working, if not, i'm coming back to you guys! ;D

18. Fone_Fanatic

Fone_Fanatic Bit poster

Alright, so it went back to giving me the USB in use error. I don't know how it worked in the first place but now its really starting to piss me off. I've uninstalled and re-installed parallels several times making sure all the com.parallels.kext.xxxxx were removed and still.. nothing

I've removed applications from my Windows Mobile Device that attempt to connect to the internet through USB, i've turned off the advanced network functionality, disabled Activesync then restarted my PPC and Mac and still the same thing!!

what to do? all that i see is left is to restore my macbook, but is that really the answer?

19. pooru

pooru Bit poster

I too am waiting for Microcosm dongles to be supported in the latest Parallels. I'm sticking with build 1970 for now, in which they *are* supported. Why would this have got broken between times, I wonder ?

20. soundzen

soundzen Junior Member

no parallels tools listed in xp

Well, as for parallels tecnical answer on FAQ i dont have a "parallels tools" program listed in the removing programs query from xp and lets say i do remove a program named parallels tools, wont that afect my VM on xp running on mac? :confused:

PS1 - since parallels have done some improvements like USB 2.0 recognition in their latest selling licence, why dont they give old customers/owners of a licence prior to 2007 the latest ugrades to be downladed online (like windows does)?

PS2 - why doesnt the avatars work for our profiles?

Last edited: May 3, 2007