Linux VM Memory Problem

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Heribert, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Heribert

Heribert Bit poster

I have a big problem with my Linux VM (Open Suse 10.2).
    If i assign more than 512MB virtual memory to the VM, my Linux crashes/hangs during boot.

Does anyone know what's happening and how i can circumvent this?

Sorry, but a Linux VM with only 512MB RAM is totally useless for me.
    I need to have at least 1GB of RAM because i need to run the latest Oracle DB Release in this VM. With only 512MB, Oracle 10g2 won't even start.

I want to configure the the following configuration:

Linux VM running Oracle DB, Oracle Application Server, Peoplesoft Internet Architecture.
    Windows XP VM running Peoplesoft AppDesigner.

Mac OS X running Oracle JDeveloper.

Configuring the Networking isn't the problem. :)

The other option would be to install everything in my Windows XP VM, but hey, why did i buy a Macbook Pro? :)

Thanks for any hint,
    Heribert

2. Heribert

Heribert Bit poster

Found the problem. Solved it. Everything works now
    Thanks for the great support.

Waiting for VMWare Fusion.......

3. GavinStark

GavinStark Bit poster

So, how did you fix it? I haven't found a solution myself. Do share, pretty please...

4. GavinStark

GavinStark Bit poster

Okay, I found it: its a Linux issue to do with handling the BIOS calls to determine the size of memory available.

Basically you need to add mem=nopentium to the /etc/grub.conf file at the end of the kernel line.

You can do this when using 512MB of memory, thereafter you can use a larger value.

See also http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/BootPrompt-HOWTO.html

5. keathmilligan

keathmilligan Bit poster

With Fedora Core 6, the "mem=nopentium" option has no effect on the problem. Adding "agp=off" to the kernel args works, though.

To do this, hit 'e' when the boot screen comes up, then select the kernel you will be booting (if there is more than one), then hit 'a'.

Add " agp=off" to the end of the kernel arguments, then hit enter to boot.

Once Linux boots, edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst and add " agp=off" to the end of the kernel argumnts there to make the changes permanent.