iSight on Intel iMac?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by vmichael, Apr 28, 2006.

1. vmichael

vmichael Bit poster

Hello,

I'm not in front of my 17" Intel iMac right now, but at home I have b5 running and I'm wondering if the built-in iSight camera is supported/usable in a Windows XP SP2 VM? If not, is this something that might eventually be supported?

My second question: will I ever be able to plug-in a retail webcam, cay a Logitech QuickCam Pro 5000 and have it work in a Windows XP SP2 VM? Thanks for producing such a great product!

Vincent.

2. bbraun

bbraun Member

This question has been asked many times in this forum, perhaps it's time to add it to the faq list?
    The builtin iSights on the intel macs are USB based, and although they can show up in Windows, there is no driver available on windows to make use of them.

Theoretically, a USB webcam with windows drivers should work under windows on Parallels, although I have not tried it myself.

3. anville

anville Junior Member

Other webcam experience with Beta 5

I have actually tried two different USB cams with Beta 5, hoping that they might work, but no dice. One is a Kodak DVC325, and another is new Ezonics iContact Pro.

In both cases I installed the drivers, and plugged in the USB cam. Neither worked, but windows did correctly recognize the device. If I looked in the windows device manager, I could see the little yellow exclamation point by the cam name.

Interestingly, the Kodak has caused a few virtual BSDs. The same cam and driver causes my XP Boot Camp session to hang the real machine! Worked fine with my old laptops.

Just some data points for the dev team....

4. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Thanks for reporting - we already fixed number of USB issues and working hard on the rest...