Cannot Delete Snapshot???

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DarkStar, Oct 25, 2011.

1. DarkStar

DarkStar Bit poster

macbook air, OSX, Parallels 6 W7

As you know these MBA have small hard drives. I am trying to delete an old snapshot but I am getting the error:

"This action cannot be performed on the specified object."

I cannot, apparently, use compression until the snapshot is deleted.

Can anyone help? I am just about out of HDD space on this machine :(

thanks

2. ShannonA

ShannonA Member

Try freeing up free space elsewhere before deleting old snapshots. Try using CCleaner.

3. DarkStar

DarkStar Bit poster

Thanks, I downloaded and used CCleaner on the windows image, but now it says "not enough free space to merge snapshots". I just want to delete the darn thing!

4. King LotA

King LotA Junior Member

There might be not enough space. Try freeing some space somewhere else.[​IMG]

5. DarkStar

DarkStar Bit poster

That is the problem. I don't have any more space to free up. The stupid VM takes up 94 gigs, I assume because of the snapshot. MacBook only has 128 gig drive.

6. YanaYana

YanaYana

The only solution i can see in this case is to copy the virtual machine file ( usually located in /User/Documents/Parallels/ with .pvm extension) to an external harddrive. than you need to remove the initial copy from your Mac's harddrive and perform the compression. After that you will be able to move it back with smaller size

7. GabrielY

GabrielY Bit poster

I just come accord the same issue ....Could u correct me the below steps
    1. Copy out the .pvm to external HDD
    2. Delete the .pvm in the MBA13 machine
    3. Carry out the compression
    4. Copy back the .pvm

?????

AFTER COPIED THE 100GB SUCXING .PVM TO EXTERNAL HDD USING 1 HOUR AND ENDED UP I REINSTALL THE O/S ...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  8. YanaYana

YanaYana

But what was the reason for it? has your Vm being corrupted during the transfer?

9. GabrielY

GabrielY Bit poster

When I moved the 100GB .PVM to the external harddrive, the 'Compress' option grey-ed out and cannot be use...

OR should I need to move to a machine with another Parallel desktop installed in order to perform the Compress operation ??

Yesterday 08:22 PM
    YanaYana But what was the reason for it? has your Vm being corrupted during the transfer?

Jul 11, 2012 04:55 AM
    GabrielY I just come accord the same issue ....Could u correct me the below steps
    1. Copy out the .pvm to external HDD
    2. Delete the .pvm in the MBA13 machine
    3. Carry out the compression
    4. Copy back the .pvm

?????

AFTER COPIED THE 100GB SUCXING .PVM TO EXTERNAL HDD USING 1 HOUR AND ENDED UP I REINSTALL THE O/S ...

10. YanaYana

YanaYana

Not it should not be necessary. I suggest you to contact Parallels Tech support regarding this issue - cannot really suggest anything without a closer look. go to www.parallels.com/support/request