Yay! Fusion Beta 3 has no .mem file!!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by n9yty, Apr 8, 2007.

1. n9yty

n9yty Member

I'm so excited to see that the Beta3 release of VMWare's Fusion product can support booting off the bootcamp partition and NOT require that awful 1.5GB (on my machine) .mem file that Parallels insists on using now. Rejoice people! :D Maybe Parallels can duplicate this feat of human software engineering!:cool:

2. dailo

dailo Member

Actually there is a .mem file, its just not as big. On my fusion install there is a 512mb .mem file on my install, but that might be because I configured it to 512mb of memory. However, VMware is a lot faster at booting than Parallels, hopefully they will be able to copy that :)

3. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

the .mem file isnt a hallmark of using parallels with bootcamp you know.. its there for fast sleep/wake funtionality. I dont use bootcamp and I have it too. I have a 32gb virtual hard disk, the extra 1gb .mem file isnt exactly a major problem.

4. wesley

wesley Pro

I have a 1.5GB .mem file, yet my WinXP VM boots up in a few seconds. Go figure.
    It could be due to setting a different disk access policy.

5. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

With Kaspersky off Parallels boots lightning fast here too. I'm not even using 15k drives or two drives.

6. n9yty

n9yty Member

Which, oddly enough, you can't even use with BootCamp, so why create the file?

It is if your drive is low on space because you allocated a good chunk for Windows... On laptops space is not quite unlimited, you know... Can't just throw a second drive in the case.