Pv5 - prl_disp_service consuming 99% cpu

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Parallels User, Dec 7, 2009.

1. jlyman

jlyman Bit poster

Reported, disable auto-updater?

id: 10635038

Experiencing the same thing on a mid-2009 MBP, no NVIDIA card, no odd screensavers, fresh OS install and fresh Parallels 6 install, updated.

Is there any way to disable the Parallels autoupdater? I'm on top of it enough to check periodically for myself.

2. MAFletch

MAFletch Bit poster

I have been having this exact issue as I had reported it in a previous post until recently. I have a mid 2010 mbp13 with OSX 10.6.8 and Win7-64 professional on Parallels Build 6.0.12094.

I recently upgraded from the stock 4gb of memory to 8gb (only $40 at amazon) and after several intentional and accidental "sleeps", I have not had the problem. Prior to the memory increase, I had a sizable swap file and almost no free memory. Now I have an unused swap file with several gigs of memory free. I'm not aware of any other recent changes made to the machine that would explain it...it's nice that it just seems to work now.

3. jlyman

jlyman Bit poster

Hmm, I coincidentally also did a recent memory upgrade, 4 to 8GB, on Amazon (for $40 too, probably the same stuff) but unfortunately that has not helped the prl_disp_service issue at all. The VM runs a lot snappier when I have it open, but seems to have had no effect on the original issue.

The only thing that seems to work as far as troubleshooting the out of control service is to run the sudo stop/start commands mentioned previously, and wrapped up as an Automater service in this post.

4. KevinS1990

KevinS1990 Bit poster

Hi I have my cpu also running at 99% most often, even through I have uninstalled and deleted all Parallels Files.

The activity monitor shows prl_disp_service.

Can anyone assist.

5. KevinS1990

KevinS1990 Bit poster

Hi,

Does anyone know why prl_disp_service is still consuming 99% cpu even after my uninstall of Parallels.

Is there a support Line I can get in touch with for Parallels?

6. JayLeeves

JayLeeves Bit poster

Temporary patching up.. but, now i thank for your this workflow. Thanks.

7. footflaps

footflaps Bit poster

Id: 10904089

Happens at least once a week, makes no difference as to whether Parallels is actually running.

I'll be buying VMWare rather than upgrading.

8. jonathan_david

jonathan_david Hunter

Free upgrade to Parallels 7 for these users

I have had this problem on my MacBookPro basically since I bought it and was told that a ticket had been issued (at least twice from my recollection) with no follow up. While I am grateful for the automated alerts telling me that there is yet another post to this thread - it does not do a lot of good for me - or the time I have spent troubleshooting this or for the wear and tear on my (at the time) brand new MacBookPro.

I have been fighting with Parallels software on this particular machine since I bought the laptop and the software was installed.

Seems to me that a free upgrade to 7 - for those of us willing to continue to give Parallels the opportunity to get this right - is in order.

I'll be starting a Facebook page about this issue in the next week so if you'd like to get signed up feel free to email me at the contact provided on formpig.com.

Cheers!

9. TomWats

TomWats Member

Unfortunately, someone at this related thread (http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=112138) reported the runaway prl_disp_service issue even with Parallels 7. Like all of us, he's running 10.6.8.

I have yet to see anyone with OSX 10.7.x complain about it. For those of us with newer hardware that Lion runs well on (2010 or 2011), that $30 OSX upgrade might be worth it--and it's a cheaper upgrade than Parallels 7.

10. KlausL

KlausL Junior Member

OSX Lion

Nope. I'm on 10.7.2 with the latest PD7 update and prl_disp_service is still a problem on my iMac i5 27" 8GB, but a little bit other than the ones reported here.

I have an external USB audio device (Sinn7 Status 24/96) with digital in/out (S/PDIF) and an effect processor connected to it, which needs to sync with the Status. Every time I power up the Status first and then the FX device, the sync process fails and ActivityMonitor shows the prl_disp_service process jumping up to near 70% memory usage, then go to sleep for a second and jumping up again. Within this intervals the FX syncs, syncs not, syncs, syncs not... until the device crashes.

If I kill prl_disp_service via AM, the FX device gets in a stable sync with my audio device after some seconds.

Does the Parallels service launch daemon watch other Core services (like CoreAudio) on my imac and wants to load something which isn't necessary????

11. tarkay01

tarkay01 Bit poster

This is STILL happening. Is anyone from Parallels trying to fix it ??

12. johndoe

johndoe Member

"free upgrade to parallel 7" ?

i don't belong to facebook, but i am interested in how you got the free upgrade when experiencing this problem. i have experienced this multiple times, and should even have incidents on file with them to prove i've been having this problem, so hopefully that will help prove that perhaps i'd be eligible for the upgrade. it seems at least worth a try, even if others have been experiencing the problem to some degree with the upgrade.

can you provide more info?

13. SteveSwing

SteveSwing Bit poster

problem report id: 11151094

The problem report was successfully sent with id: 11151094

Seems like lots of reports of this without any resolution or acceptable work arounds. Has anyone looked into whether this is caused by sleep and resume related usage of the hardware (not sleep and resume of VMs although I do that too)?

Early 2011 MBP17
    Parallels 6.0.12106.692267

14. Josh.Whitver

Josh.Whitver Bit poster

Same issue here
    The problem report was successfully sent with id: 11175461
    Parallels 6.0.11828.615184 on Mac OS X 10.6.8

15. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

I haven't seen this issue in a long, long time. Maybe this is because I am using Parallels in full screen only, and thus don't need crystal / coherence services. I've set the "Parallels Coherence Service" not to load on startup.

Maybe you could try that, if you can live without crystal / coherence for a while... and see whether the problem goes away?

16. KevinS1990

KevinS1990 Bit poster

Hi,

This seems to be happening to me again and the quick fix that was uploaded before is no longer fixing the issue. Can anyone else help!

Thanks!

17. Ma_Parallels

Ma_Parallels Bit poster

Same here.

I ask myself how many Problem-Reports Parallels is going to want, to get this bug tracked down.
    I've killed this process for weeks and today I found out there are a lot more like me. Also 10.6.8 here - Mid 2010 Macbook Pro. I'm sorry Parallels, but I have to WORK with my machine und don't have the time to upgrade to Lion and don't want to bother with new bugs. I know my old ones...
    So here's my damage report:
    The problem report was successfully sent with id: 11382448

18. jlyman

jlyman Bit poster

Parallels, when are we going to get a fix on this? Having to restart my computer every day or two just because some service runs out of control is a pretty ridiculous bug, especially for those of us who use it often.

Please let us know what the game plan is here.

19. KBishop

KBishop Bit poster

I too am having this problem. Any news on a fix? I was considering an update to 7 but wonder if it is worth it?

20. paracowboy

paracowboy Bit poster

Another Parallels 6 user with 99% CPU from prl_disp_service

ID report: 11824927

Please figure out a fix to that problem !

Thanks Parallels-Team.