Move XP on bootcamp in Lion

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by king, Aug 3, 2011.

1. king

king Bit poster

I am running Parallels 6 and have Windows XP running on bootcamp. I just recently upgraded to Lion and now XP won't work in Bootcamp as Bootcamp 4.0 only supports Windows 7. Is there some way to move my copy of XP in bootcamp to just a regular Parallels VM?

2. Dent McCutcheon

Dent McCutcheon Bit poster

I've got the same problem, though I've already upgraded to both Lion & Parallels 7. I can no longer access my WinXP Boot Camp VM with Parallels. I'm hoping there's a way to migrate the WinXP Boot Camp VM to a standard Parallels VM. Anybody out there know if this is possible?

3. Dent McCutcheon

Haven't tried it yet, but it looks like this may be the ticket...

http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v5/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/23385.htm

At the bottom of the page...

Migrating From a Boot Camp Partition

With Parallels Transporter, you can migrate your Boot Camp partition to a bootable Parallels virtual machine or Parallels virtual hard disk for using in Parallels Desktop for Mac. There are three methods you can use when migrating from a Boot Camp partition:

migrating within the Boot Camp partition (using an external storage device), or
    migrating via the Boot Camp virtual machine, or
    migrating from the Boot Camp partition of a remote Mac (the standard remote migration procedure using the Parallels USB cable, or an external storage device, or over network).

Top of page

4. Scubamike

Scubamike Bit poster

It's a trap!!

After discovering all the help info I could find to be complete bollocks (and Parallels having such terrible support I don't even bother anymore) I solved the issue in 30 seconds flat.

1. Delete your old shortcut
    2. In Parallels Desktop; Create a New Machine...>From Bootcamp
    3. Done

5. Dent McCutcheon

Simple soluion

Thanks scubamike!

That was a simple and quick solution. My XP VM is back up and running again.