Guest OS Always open in Desktop 1

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by jamiedaniel, Nov 6, 2011.

1. jamiedaniel

jamiedaniel Member

I have several Guest OS instances on my Mac. I am running Lion and using Mission Control. All of my guest os's open in Desktop 3 EXCEPT one. that one ALWAYS opens in Desktop 1. Quite annoying really.

Does anyone know how to reset the default location that the guest os will open in? Is it a setting I can tweak?

Thanks,
    Jamie

2. spacewrench

spacewrench Junior Member

I noticed this happening after I upgraded to 7.0.15050. I have the VM list window on desktop 4 (of 4), and with the previous version, each VM would open on a different, consistent desktop (I think it was the last desktop I had used it on). Now, when I start a VM from the VM list, the window always opens on Desktop 1.

I hope somebody will post a config-file setting or something to change this -- it'd be handy to be able to have the VMs go to a particular desktop on launch.

3. jamiedaniel

jamiedaniel Member

I agree.

It happens intermittently. Some that used to be fine this morning are now exhibiting this behavior.

Does anyone know the configuration settings location to fix this behavior?

Thanks,
    Jamie

4. typ993

typ993 Junior Member

This is happening to me as well. I can't figure out how to get the OS window to open in the proper space. The Parallels app itself does open in the assigned space, but the window goes elsewhere.

5. YanaYana

YanaYana

Hello guys,

This behaviour has been recently fixed, but the fix would be supplied with the one of nearest updates, there is not workaround meanwhile, the only thing to do is wait. The release should come soon

6. caltuna

caltuna Bit poster

I just installed the latest build, 7.0.15052 (Nov. 11, Rev. 710728) and it is NOT fixed. Parallels opens in Desktop 4 but when the black WinXP VM ("click to start") screen comes up it is always in Desktop 1.

7. jamiedaniel

jamiedaniel Member

I also just installed the newest version and it is NOT fixed.

Same behavior exists.

Can someone either

1) fix this and post an update

or

2) post a work around until the next release where it is fixed!!

Thanks
    Jamie

8. YanaYana

YanaYana

I didn't say the fix was included into 15052 build. Please be patient

9. LarsK

LarsK Bit poster

Well, it doesn't seem to be fixed in build 15054 either.
    Is there some workaround we can use, while we wait for you to get around to actually release the fix for it?

10. jamiedaniel

jamiedaniel Member

And it isn't fixed in this update either.

Please be patient???

If it is such a simple change.. then why can't you guys fix it?

It is annoying...

11. pickenst

pickenst Bit poster

Quote from Parallels:

"I didn't say the fix was included into 15052 build. Please be patient"

It is two builds and at least two months later.

Parallels, please define patient.

12. YanaYana

YanaYana

Guys, one more time.
    This is how it works: after some misbehaviour has been fixed it is not included straight away to the next update. It may take a while and be delivered with some update in future (not the next one) - the time depends on a lot of circumstances - maybe some interdependent fixes which are still in progress.

13. jamiedaniel

jamiedaniel Member

YanaYana,

I am a professional software developer I know how release management works. So let me explain how customer management works.

This is how it works...

If you identify an issue that has been brought to your attention, you acknowledge the issue and thank the user community for their help.

At this time you give concrete terms, not a flippant response that translates to, "Shut up, buy our software and like it! We will fix it when we like - now bugger off."

If you are not able to deliver a timeline for delivery then good customer service demands that you either, release a patch for download or issue a workaround.

If the above is not done then your customers begin to see your support as arrogant and dismissive.

Handle your customers the way you want, let them eat cake. The flavor of cake can either be Parallels, or VMWare Fusion.

Cheers!
    Jamie

14. jamiedaniel

jamiedaniel Member

And two more weeks go by without comment.

15. YanaYana

YanaYana

Hello jamiedaniel,
    Unfortunately there is no workaround available at the moment and i have no approved milestone for the fix integration. There is no thing i can do from my side to speed up the process but only to inform users what is the progress of the investigation.

16. typ993

typ993 Junior Member

And another Parallels update with no fix for this problem.

Posted by Parallels on 16 Nov 2011: "This behaviour has been recently fixed, but the fix would be supplied with the one of nearest updates"

You lie!

17. pickenst

pickenst Bit poster

Quote from Parallels (Nov.16, 2011):

"This behaviour has been recently fixed, but the fix would be supplied with the one of nearest updates, there is not workaround meanwhile, the only thing to do is wait. The release should come soon"

Another update and the issue has still not been fixed. You have acknowledged that you have the fix. This is the third update since that acknowledgement. Please give details of why a known issue with a known resolution has not been released.

As I said in a previous post "Please define patient" also I might add "Please define soon".

I don't believe these are unreasonable or over burdensome requests for Parallels.

18. luigis007

luigis007 Banned

Same issue. desk 4 and window appare in desk 1. >:-/
    HELPPPPP

Luigi - ITALY -

19. PC Mac Dr

PC Mac Dr Bit poster

Same here

Setup up for Desktop 15

Once I open up any of my 3 VM, BAM!! goes straight to Desktop 1

Come on P Team

I have faith you can fix this, it has been awhile