Clipboard Support

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by tradford, Apr 27, 2006.

1. tradford

tradford Bit poster

Love the software!! Noticed in the Tools section that is something called ClipBoard sync that is supposed to allow cutting/pasting between clipboards. Is it supposed to work in Beta 5 yet? If so how do you set it up?

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

It works for average size texts (up to 128Kbyte).

To use just copy in Primary OS and paste in Guest OS or vice versa.

3. tradford

tradford Bit poster

Thanks

Thanks. I tried the test and it works great. So images won't work at this point?

4. Andrew @ Parallels

Images works only for combination - Primary Windows <-> Guest Windows.

5. tradford

tradford Bit poster

Not following..

I'm not quite understanding how the image clipboarding works. Can I copy paste from a Mac Word doc to a WIN XP guest Powerpoint document with an image? I've tried a couple times and it hasn't worked. Could try be a size limit to the image?

6. engrProf

engrProf Member

II can't get copy/paste between host and guest to work! :( I have Beta 5. I installed Parallels tools when I upgraded to Beta 5. I made sure that clipboard synchronization was enabled. If I copy text in an XP application and open Parallels Tools Center and click on clipboard synchronization, the text is there in the clipboard. But if I go over to the Mac side and paste, nothing happens. Then if I copy something on the Mac side and go back to XP, the clipboard hasn't changed. What am I doing wrong?

7. Andrew @ Parallels

You don't need to open Parallels Tools Center for copy and past. Just copy in guest and past in primary - or vice versa. Check text size - it should not be more than 128Kbytes.

8. engrProf

engrProf Member

Yes, I know that. I opened Parallels tools to troubleshoot, and to verify that Parallels tools knows what's in the clipboard.

I just did the following:
    1. Open MS Word in XP running in VM. Type "12345." Copy. Paste to verify that it's in clipboard. (One person reminded me to use ^C and ^V on the PC. I did. I also did it using the menu. I also tried other apps besides MS Word.)
    2. Switch to the Mac. Open MS Word on Mac. (I also tried other apps.) Paste. (I tried Apple-V and nothing happened; I also tried the menu command and paste was grayed out.)
    3. Switch back to PC and paste again. It pastes just fine.

I also tried it the other way, copying into the Mac clipboard and pasting into a PC app. That doesn't work either.

I opened Parallels tools center and verified that clipboard synchronization is enabled. Text I enter on the Mac side doesn't appear in the clipboard that shows in Parallels tools center.

9. Stark

Stark Bit poster

Any idea when a fix for this will be in place? The inabillity to copy/paste to MS office is the only thing holding up an order for two copies of parallels.

10. mlandel

mlandel Member

In an earlier Beta, copying >128k caused a crash.
    (I don't recall now whether a panic or just a VM crash)
    Has this been fixed?