Can Parallels v7 run a Windows XP VM created with Parallels v4

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by rich06, Nov 11, 2011.

1. rich06

rich06 Bit poster

I have just got a new MacbookPro running Lion 10.7.2 -- Parallels 4 will not install or run on Lion so I will have to install Parallels v7 -- however on my old MBP I have a VM of Windows XP that I'd like to transfer to the new machine - can I do this? Will v7 run a v4 VM? What would be the steps necessary?

TIA
    Rich

2. ShannonA

ShannonA Member

Quick Answer: Yes it can but the disk has to be upgraded.

When you move the disk to the new computer, point Parallels to the transfered VM and it will go through its upgrade routine. Simple.

3. rich06

rich06 Bit poster

Hi Shannon
    Thanks for the quick response -- which file(s) do I have to copy over to the new machine and to which location?
    Thanks again!
    Rich

4. YanaYana

YanaYana

Hello Rich,

You need to find the following file on your old Mac : /User/Documents/Parallels/VM Name.pvm

This pvm file is the only one you need to move to your new Mac. Before you do it, start the virtual machine and remove Parallels Tools (from add remove programs in Control Panel).

To register this VM on your new Mac, just start Parallels Desktop 7 and double - click the .pvm file in Finder.

Process will start automatically

5. LeslieI

LeslieI Bit poster

Does the same hold true for a Windows XP Pro VM created via Parallels Desktop 3.0 (was created using transporter)?
    Will the 3.0 version pvm convert the same way into Parallels 7 on a Mac running Snow Leopard?

6. YanaYana

YanaYana

generally speaking - yes.

This upgrade is just more complicated in terms of the conversion. I strongly recommend you to keep a backup version just in case.