Problems opening XP files from Finder

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by ANDREA123, Nov 16, 2011.

1. ANDREA123

ANDREA123 Junior Member

I haven't installed any updates so I'm not sure why the sudden change, but I can no longer open XP files from Finder. Previously if I clicked on certain file types that required XP programs, I could open them directly from Finder (either as default or by right clicking and choosing 'open with'), or drag and drop files from Finder into XP program windows like Outlook messages or other programs that enable drag and drop (I use GIS software for work).

Now, when I click on XP files in Finder, like a work document or a shape file for example, the relevant XP program icon shows up in the Mac Dock with the parallels symbol over it, but there is no application window to be found and the Windows Task manager window does not show the program being open.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this? I didn't adjust settings or install updates so I'm not sure how this change came about but I found Parallels much more useful when it would "speak" to Finder since I prefer browsing in Finder to Windows Explorer.

Thanks!

2. ANDREA123

ANDREA123 Junior Member

I should add that the clipboard is no longer shared between the 2 OS' even though the option is selected under "Configure". This too is a new change that came about recently unexplained.