Failed Parallels 7 Update

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Chauncey, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Chauncey

Chauncey Bit poster

I attempted to update Parallels 7 for MAC (Lion) (attempted download Version: 7.0.15052.710728, Size: 311.6 MB), and during the download process I received the following error message:

Not enough free space on "/Users/lzenya/Library/Parallels/Downloads".

Please free some space and try again.

In OS X, using TERM to navigate to the referenced directory, I get the following listing:

Ren:Downloads lzenya$ pwd
    /Users/lzenya/Library/Parallels/Downloads
    Ren:Downloads lzenya$ ls -l
    total 662744
    -rw-r--r-- 1 lzenya staff 339321158 Nov 20 15:08 ParallelsDesktop-7.0.15052.710728.dmg.prlupd-part

What steps would be suggested to overcome this?

Thank you.

2. msprygada

msprygada Junior Member

I have the exact same problem. I hope someone chimes in here with the answer.

3. ikorobov

ikorobov Parallels Developers

Hi,

Please try to do the following:
    1. Quit Parallels Desktop
    2. Remove all files starting with ParallelsDesktop-7.0.* from the referenced Library/Parallels/Downloads directory in your home folder.
    3. Launch Parallels Desktop and click on "Parallels Desktop->Check for Updates..." menu item
    4. Start to download the update again. Please do not quit Parallels Desktop while it downloads the update.

Alternatively, if the problem still persists, you could download the latest version from the Parallels web site (please refer to the http://kb.parallels.com/en/112178 for the details)

We're sorry for the inconvenience caused.

With best regards,
    Ivan.

4. msprygada

msprygada Junior Member

Hi Ivan, that worked perfectly! Thanks for the reply.

5. Chauncey

Chauncey Bit poster

Now a stalled Installation

Ivan,

Thank you for your recommendation. Removing the file from the directory successfully allowed the download of the recent Parallels update to conclude.

I am now at another stopping point; the installation is "stalled" and I get the Parallels Desktop dialog box "Installing Parallels Desktop" with a progress bar which no longer progresses toward completion (after about 60% completion).

Warm regards, and Happy Thanksgiving.

Attached Files:

6. Chauncey

Chauncey Bit poster

Belay that...

Ivan,

It would seem that I did not wait long enough for the installation to complete (it took about 30 minutes).

My issue is resolved.

Thank you, and I appreciate your quick / effective support.

I have seen great software companies come and go. And the great ones have the same look and feel of the Parallels team. I recall PowerQuest, which made a dynamic re-partinioning application called Partition Magic. It was flawless. It was bought by a larger company and now is no more. I recall PGP, who was recently bought by Symantec, and they are now on the same "controlled decent into terrain." The support is "torturous." I sincerely hope Parallels is not assimilated by one of the big software companies. Companies (and Banks, and Government) are all getting too big.

7. ikorobov

ikorobov Parallels Developers

Hi Chauncey,

I'm glad that the issue is resolved now.
    And thank you for your kind words!

With best regards,
    Ivan

8. msprygada

msprygada Junior Member

Yup, this happend to me too...Took awhile but it installed. There is not a hard drive light on the MBA so you don't know if the thing is working or locked up.

But I got two error messages during the upgrade but it continued and seems to work ok. I have attached one of them, the other one I did not capture.

Attached Files:

9. Henry-In-Florida

Henry-In-Florida Member

In my case I did the automatic update (within the Parallels 7.0.x previous), then found your note, then found the suspended XP Virtualization failed, then try the suggested remedy (uninstall the Tools) advice see pic for the result. Cannot uninstall Tools from the XP virtualization. What said 5 minutes in XP was really 30 and still failed...

Is this the suggested/recommended path for ALL FUTURE upgrades? REALLY??

Attached Files:

10. Henry-In-Florida

Henry-In-Florida Member

And oh yeah, thanks Parallels, uninstalling somehow de-activated XP needing to re-register it. Wow, what an upgrade!