Cannot update to latest version

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by newmanm, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Thomas_E

Thomas_E Bit poster

For me it helped to start the installation manually by executing the downloaded .dmg file.

2. hmolen

hmolen Member

That always works, for me the download does not start...

3. hmolen

hmolen Member

Quick response here as to the great help I received from Ivan Koborov (?).
    He discovered the the previous version was complete but failed the MD5 checksum and that basically prevented the next download to start...
    In the meantime I have removed the file from Library and updated to the latest versnio manually.
    Keep my fingers crossed when the next version is released.
    For now this case is closed for me.
    Hans.

4. ikorobov

ikorobov Parallels Developers

Thanks for the kind words, Hans :)
    I do hope that the next update will go without a hitch.

With best regards,
    Ivan

5. lfd42017

lfd42017 Bit poster

I am having trouble upgrading to Parallels 7 on my mac.... I bought it with Parallels 6 and it came with a free upgrade to 7. Well I have never been able to get it to install correctly. Now every time I start parallels it wants to install the upgrade and if I am not watching to cancel the upgrade it errors out windows and I have to revert back to a previous snapshot -- Please help -- At this point I don't care which version I use -- I just don't want to have to baby sit it every time I want to use it. Thanks in advance.

6. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Download the latest version installer directly from parallels.com/download and run it.

7. lfd42017

lfd42017 Bit poster

Sorry to be a pain -- I am new to mac and parallels. I saw that there was a trial version - Is that what you are talking about? Do you know if there will be a place where I can enter my key or whatever and it recognize that it will be a free upgrade so I don't have to pay additional money?

8. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

The installer for the trial is exactly the same and it will allow you to put in your license key, but underneath that download link there's a button/link that says something like "already have a license key?", use that one.

9. lfd42017

lfd42017 Bit poster

Got the file and installed it... Said it was successful until it started the windows -- then the same dang thing happened. It seems like there is a install process in windows wanting to update the program. I normally use coherence but if I exit that the bottom of my parallels windows desktop it says the "Parallel Tools are outdated. Wait for automatic upgrade to complete or upgrade manually." I guess this is what i need to get rid of or fixed. Any ideas on this. I really appreciate you help.

10. lfd42017

lfd42017 Bit poster

If I remove "Parallels Tools 6.0" out of my msconfig startup will that keep it from trying to install the updates or do you think that will cause parallels not to work at all?

11. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Don't alter the msconfig startup items!

You should allow Parallels Tools to be updated automatically. Switch from Coherence mode to window mode and make sure they are updated, if that doesn't work, uninstall the previous tools via "add/remove programs" in control panel, and install the new ones.

12. lfd42017

lfd42017 Bit poster

Ok I uninstalled Parallels tools from programs and features because I have MS Vista Business virtual machine. After it installs the virtual machine reboots automatically and when it comes back up it says that "Your computer was unable to start." Do you want to restore. I clicked no and now it is "Attempting repairs...." I feel like we're close :) Still somewhat frustrating. Again thank you for helping.

It finally finished and it says the Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically.
    Problem Event Name - StartupRepairV2
    Problem Signature 01: AutoFallover
    Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6001.18000
    Problem Signature 03: 3
    Problem Signature 04: 65537
    Problem Signature 05: unknown
    Problem Signature 06: BadPatch
    Problem Signature 07: 0
    Problem Signature 08: 3
    Problem Signature 09: WrpRepair
    Problem Signature 10: 2
    OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033

I'm LOST!

13. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Hm, in this thread sequence I was lead to believe your problem was with upgrading to PDM7, when in reality you had a problem with your Windows VM. Your only option is to attempt the restore procedure, and if that fails reinstall Windows on top, as I can't debug the problem from a distance.
    But if System restore is successful it will only bring you back to the situation you had before, in which I case I would try install parallels tools without uninstalling them first.

Or you can submit a support ticket to Parallels, although this is probably a Windows problem and not a Parallels problem.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  14. lfd42017

lfd42017 Bit poster

Sorry if I miss lead you. I thought it was a parallels thing because everything works just fine as long as Parallel Tools does not upgrade. I wasn't sure what I had to do. Thanks.

15. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Parallels Tools are suppose to upgrade, if they can't there's something wrong in Windows.

16. lfd42017

lfd42017 Bit poster

Ran the chkdsk -- no problems found... Not sure how to run the fc /scannow -- it told me insufficient number of file specifications.

17. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

No point in running chkdsk (check disk) this utility serves to identify hard drive problems and file system inconsistencies (not windows problems), besides, startup repair probably checks that also automatically in the series of checks it makes.

An hard drive problem doesn't apply here since this disk is virtual (it's a file in an OS X disk), and file system inconsistencies are only likely to occur caused by improper shutdown or excessive demanding of multiple file writes in per second (very rare).

18. AZEngineer

AZEngineer Bit poster

I am having the exact same error. New Macbook Air, 1 month ago. Installed Parallels and Win 7 Pro at that time. I've only used Parallels twice to run quicken. Checked for updates, update available, but when I try it says I have a connection error. My network is rock solid and I can surf the web with Windows and Mac when getting this connectivity error. It is not the connection. Advice please...joe

19. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You can download the installer from Parallels site, look in this thread posts for instructions.

(as to why you get connection problems it might be some proxy settings or some sort of filtering happening somewhere on your network)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  20. AZEngineer

AZEngineer Bit poster

If I run the installer will it just update, or will it start from scratch and kill everything I have installed at this point? thanks....joe