Merging snapshots >3 hours

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by RodolpheV, May 24, 2011.

1. RodolpheV

RodolpheV Bit poster

Hello Team,

I have decided to delete all snapshots of my Windows 7 VM on a MacBook as the automatic snapshots were taking up all the space on my host OS.

I have entered the Snapshot Manager (in Parallel 6 for Mac) and clicked on Delete & children on the first snapshot, understanding from the User's manual that it would first merge all child snapshots before deleting them.

The process has been running for over 3 hours now (pvm is a little less than 100 GB and the original hdd is probably about 55 GB). When I show the content of the package for my Windows 7.hdd, I get 4 different hdd, the initial one (55 GB), and 3 other ones, (20 GB, 10 GB, 11 GB).

In the end, what I really want is to get rid of all snapshots, shut down snapshot functionality, so I can save all this space and start being able to compress my VM again. Can I simply delete those other hdd files? Can I kill the VM delete snapshot process while it is running (in case this goes one for another 3+ hours)?

Thank you very much in advance for your help,

Rod

2. IsabellaC

IsabellaC Junior Member

I am having the same problem...the merging screen is frozen and I do not know how long it will take.
    Will I loose my data?
    Can anyone from the support team reply please?
    thanks,
    Isabella

3. carlosrodzbotet

carlosrodzbotet Hunter

I guess not many support people read this. I have the same question because I want to stop snapshots completely.

4. carlosrodzbotet

carlosrodzbotet Hunter

Well I finally figured out how Snapshot and Time Machine and the enormous files and how deleting snapshots works, after trial and lots of errors, so if anybody needs help with that to avoid all the errors and wasted time I went through just let me know here.

5. WolfK

WolfK Junior Member

How to delete Snapshots

@carlosrodzbotet
    "Well I finally figured out how Snapshot and Time Machine and the enormous files and how deleting snapshots works"

Hello Carlos - so please let us know !
    From the first beginning I did set to keep 4 Snapshots but Parallels keeps every snapshot - I have about 100 now.
    My Snapshots, HDD, and mem files are close to 400 GB now.
    What and How can I delete ?

6. carlosrodzbotet

carlosrodzbotet Hunter

Go to Virtual Machine > Configure then select the OPTIONS tab. From there select BACKUP and where it says SNAPSHOTS TO KEEP select 2 if that's all the snapshots you want to keep at a time. This is a pic of my settings :

Attached Files:

7. WolfK

WolfK Junior Member

Well that is no solution - as said earlier I have set Parallels Backup to keep 4 Snapshots, BUT that does not work,
    - it keeps everyone of the snapshots and I have now 100 of them, which is the maximum according to Parallels.

And since you can only delete one at a time !!, which takes roughly 10 minutes each,
    it would take days deleting them.
    You can not mark several snapshots for deletion at once (as you can do in VMware)
    and what would be logical, so you have to attend the computer all day.
    Very frustrating.

8. carlosrodzbotet

carlosrodzbotet Hunter

It's actually very simple and you actually CAN delete more than one snapshot at a time.

I was giving you steps toward the goal of fixing your problem. The first step was to place your settings like mine so I can start to trouble shoot what might be your problem but with your attitude, sorry but I have more important things to do on this Thanksgiving day. Good luck.